EU countries aid Greek firefighters in second wave of summer wildfires

·

The European Union have significantly boosted firefighting operations to aid Greece in the battle against the wildfires raging around the country, it was reported on Tuesday night.

According to amna.gr, European Commission spokesperson, Balazs Ujvari, said on Tuesday, “The EU remains at the disposal of the Greek authorities if there is need for more assistance.”

“We deploy almost 1/3 of the aircraft we have in the rescEU fleet. This means that we are sending seven firefighting aircraft and one helicopter to Greece, mainly to the northwest of the country.

“They are from Croatia, the Czech Republic, Germany and Sweden,” Mr Ujvari has confirmed.

Last month, during the first wave of forest wildfires, the EU responded immediately to Greece’s activation of the EU Civil Protection Mechanism, deploying nine planes, 510 firefighters, and 117 vehicles to aid in the escalating wildfires throughout Greece.

For the second time, Greece activated the EU protection on Monday, reported Mr Ujvari, as new devastating wildfires burn in different areas of the country.

Aircrafts have been deployed from Croatia, the Czech Republic, Germany and Sweden to aid Greece in firefighting operations.

Commissioner for Crisis Management, Janez Lenarcic, said in a statement: “Greece is witnessing an unprecedented scale of wildfire devastation this summer and in such trying times the EU’s swift assistance is vital.

“Today, we can see the real-life significance of having doubled our rescEU aerial firefighting fleet for this wildfire season.”

Ms Lenarcic extended appreciation to Croatia, Czechia, Germany and Sweden for their support in aiding the Greek firefighters who have been battling the wildfires for the second blaze to spread around the country.

“The EU maintains its commitment to standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Greece in the face of these devastating wildfires.”

The EU aid Greece in battling wildfires. Photo: Romanian Civil Protection.

Germany and Sweden have sent two Air Tractors, which landed in Greece on Tuesday. Croatia sent a CL-415 water bomber which also landed.

The Czech Republic has sent a Blackhawk helicopter which is expected to land in Greece tonight.

In addition, 56 Romanian firefighters with 10 fire engines have been helping Greece battle the fires since Monday August 21, as well as Cyprus who have sent two Air Tractors, reported amna.gr.

Read more: Two children found among 18 bodies burned in Avantas wildfire

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Stefanos Tsitsipas sets up Medvedev showdown in Doha

Stefanos Tsitsipas advanced to the next round of the ATP Doha tournament with a composed 6-4, 6-4 win over Moez Echargui.

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

You May Also Like

Georgallis one of five staffers culled as part of new regime at Canterbury Bulldogs

Current interim Canterbury coach, Steve Georgallis, is one of four staffers who have been culled by new coach Trent Barrett.

VCE students of the GCM and St John’s College visit Bonegilla migrant centre

VCE students participated in an educational excursion to the historic Bonegilla Migrant Reception and Training Centre on Sunday, July 28.

Peter Coroneo: From country boy to Earlwood staple

For 50 years, Peter Coroneo has devoted his life to ensuring the eye health of thousands of people in the Sydney suburb of Earlwood.