Government moves to reassure: VCE Classical Greek safe for 2026, consultation to follow

·

The Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) has moved to reassure the community after reports that VCE Classical Greek and Classical Studies were among several low-enrolment subjects being considered for possible retirement.

In a statement to The Greek Herald, a VCAA spokesperson confirmed: “No changes will be made to the available VCE studies in 2026. The VCAA will consult with stakeholders prior to implementing any changes to the studies offered as part of the VCE from 2027.”

The clarification comes after widespread nervousness within Victoria’s Greek community, following earlier reports in The Age and comments from Professor Anastasios Tamis suggesting the subjects were at immediate risk.

Community concern prompts calls for transparency

Professor Tamis, Director of the Australian Institute for Macedonian Studies, told The Greek Herald he had been informed the VCE Board was “seriously contemplating abolishing Classical Studies and Ancient Greek.” He said removing the subjects would damage academic pathways and undermine the study of Western civilisation.

“This will not stand,” he said. “We will not allow the Board to cut these subjects. We have a moral obligation to intervene.”

Teachers and community leaders also expressed frustration at the lack of formal communication, with several saying they had heard only “whispers” of an impending review.

According to background figures, only three students were enrolled in Classical Greek in 2025, and 226 students in Classical Studies – placing both well below thresholds examined in recent VCAA reviews.

Review recommendations place low-enrolment subjects under scrutiny

The community’s alarm follows Stage 2 of an independent review into the VCAA, which found the authority carries an “unsustainable subject load” and recommended examining low-enrolment studies, including languages with fewer than 15 students.

While these recommendations have sparked debate, the VCAA’s statement indicates no immediate changes – and emphasises that consultation will guide any reform affecting 2027 and beyond.

What happens next

The VCAA’s assurance provides short-term stability, but uncertainty remains over the long-term future of Classical Greek and Classical Studies. Community organisations, academics and benefactors are now preparing to take part in the consultation process once it begins.

For Professor Tamis, the fight is just beginning.

“To abandon Classical Greek is to abandon a part of ourselves,” he said.

The Greek Herald will continue to follow developments as the VCAA prepares its consultation process for 2027.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

Council responds after parking fines spark backlash at St Charalambos Greek Festival

Dozens of parking fines issued during the St Charalambos Greek Festival in Templestowe have sparked anger among attendees and organisers.

You May Also Like

Replica of iconic Knossos dolphin mural collapses amid strong winds

A replica of the iconic Dolphin Mural at the Palace of Knossos collapsed on Friday, raising concerns over the site’s maintenance efforts.

‘I’m devastated’: Effie Kats pulls out of Melbourne Fashion Week due to COVID delivery delays

Effie Kats was ready to show her new collection of suits at Melbourne Fashion Week this year until she was hit by COVID-19 delivery delays.

Sydney racer Aaron Zerefos signs new deal ahead of Bathurst race

Sydney racer Aaron Zerefos has inked a deal with Our Kloud-Upto11 Motorsport ahead of Australia’s international endurance race.