Debbie Voulgaris’ daughter defends her mum amid jail term in Taiwan for drug smuggling

·

The daughter of Debbie Voulgaris, an Australian mother-of-five imprisoned in Taiwan, has spoken publicly for the first time about her grief, calling her mother’s 15-year sentence for drug smuggling a devastating injustice.

Voulgaris, 57, was arrested in late 2023 after arriving at Taoyuan International Airport with around 4 kilograms of heroin and a smaller amount of cocaine concealed in her luggage.

She initially denied knowledge of the drugs but later admitted to carrying them unknowingly, claiming her ex-husband was behind the operation.

“She’s alone, trapped in a place she never deserved to be, carrying pain that was never hers to carry — away from her children,” said her daughter Maria, 25, in an interview with ABC.

“The pain of being oceans away from my mum… it’s unbearable.”

Voulgaris pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 16 years in prison, later reduced on appeal to 15 years and two months.

Her legal team argued she had been manipulated due to her history as a domestic violence victim and was unaware of a hidden compartment in the suitcase.

For the first eight months of her incarceration, Voulgaris was barred from contacting her family.

Since the ban was lifted, Maria and her brothers have spoken with her by phone and visited her twice in person. Other visits have been separated by a screen.

“Trust can cost you everything — that’s what happened to my mother,” Maria said. “Her kindness, her gentle innocence… that’s what led her where she is today.”

Voulgaris, who has struggled with anxiety and health issues in prison, remains on medication but is said to be maintaining her spirit.

“Still, she shows nothing but kindness to guards and inmates and tells us to explore the beauty of Taiwan when we visit,” Maria said.

“She is always the first to show up when someone needed help,” Maria added.

“She strongly believes that the universe will correct what was wrong, even if she can’t see when or how.”

Source: ABC.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Athens Mayor meets Ukrainian President and pledges to help rebuild cities

The Mayor of Athens, Kostas Bakoyannis, visited Kyiv in Ukraine on Friday and met with Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelenskyy.

Creativity to be on display at the 12th Greek Student Film Festival in Melbourne

The 12th Greek Student Film Festival concludes on October 27, 2024, at 11am, at the Palace Cinema Como. More details here.

Greek PM faces no-confidence vote amid mass protests over Tempi train tragedy

Citizens across Greece and abroad rallied on Friday, February 28, to mark the second anniversary of the Tempi train disaster.