Crown Resorts director Andrew Demetriou resigns from board

·

Crown Resorts director Andrew Demetriou has resigned from the board of the embattled gaming giant but has vowed to defend his reputation.

In a statement, Mr Demetriou said it was not an “easy decision” to step down and he had thought “carefully about taking this step”.

“I have always been a team player and supported the greater good. I will therefore step down from the Crown Resorts board to give Crown the best possible chance of becoming suitable to the NSW Regulator,” he said.

Two representatives of major shareholder, James Packer, resigned from Crown’s board on Wednesday, after the independent report highlighted the billionaire’s harmful influence over the group as a key reason it was unfit to hold the licence to its casino at Barangaroo.

Andrew Demetriou sat on the Crown board since 2015.(AAP: Lukas Coch)

Commissioner Bergin’s report into Crown Resorts – released on Tuesday following an explosive 18-month public inquiry – found that Crown had facilitated money laundering at its Melbourne and Perth casinos, partnered with figures linked to organised crime, and disregarded the safety of staff in China before 19 were arrested there in 2016.

Mr Demetriou said it had been an “honour” to serve on the Crown board and had confidence a licence for the new casino would eventually be granted.

“Crown is a great company, with outstanding people who serve the company well. Barangaroo will be a magnificent addition to the Sydney landscape and I look forward to when it is fully operational,” he said.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Greek Glendi and community spirit light up Canberra’s National Multicultural Festival

Greeks played a standout role at the National Multicultural Festival in Canberra, with food, music, dance and youth taking centre stage.

Orthodox Easter celebrations resonate across Greece and the world

Millions of Orthodox faithful across Greece and the world celebrated Orthodox Easter on Sunday, May 5 this year.

Tom Koutsantonis MP leads motion on Asia Minor Catastrophe and OXI Day in SA Parliament

Tom Koutsantonis MP has called on the SA Parliament to recognise the burning of Smyrna and October 28 as Oxi Day.