Community races to help bring Greek Australian home after brutal attack in Greece

·

Over $75,000 has been raised to help bring home a Greek Australian man brutally attacked on the Greek island of Rhodes, news.com.au. has reported.

Charlie Kathopoulis, 43, was in Rhodes completing his national service for the Greek military and helping to settle his late father’s estate when he was left with horrific injuries after two men broke into his residence.

According to Charlie’s sister, Michelle, CCTV footage from the attack shows Charlie approaching the men outside to tell them to leave, but he was badly beaten on the head with a steel bar and stabbed multiple times in the throat and chest.

“There was a blood trail to his bedroom and the bed and pillows are completely sodden in blood,” Michelle told news.com.au.

Charlie sustained major head trauma, skull fractures, an explosive fracture to the jaw, a critically damaged windpipe, a broken collarbone and punctured lungs from the attack.

Charlie sustained serious injuries in the attack on the Greek island of Rhodes. Photo: news.com.au.

He remains in intensive care at Rhodes Hospital, while two men have since been arrested for the attack.

The Kathopoulis family are now by Charlie’s bedside in Rhodes where, Michelle said, her brother was initially non-responsive with head injuries leaving him in a medically induced coma for 35 days.

The family is not sure of the condition of Charlie’s windpipe, his larynx, his vocal chords, or his neurological state.

He has been accepted at Royal Darwin Hospital for life-saving surgeries, but it is going to cost the family upwards of $450,000 to get him to Australia via Aeromedical retrieval from Rhodes, direct to Darwin.

In response, they have started a GoFundMe to help raise funds. So far, $76,098 has been raised of a $200,000 goal.

“We are very humbled, grateful, gobsmacked, surprised, emotional, and cannot thank people enough – we have been so very moved by this,” Michelle said in response to the donations.

Source: news.com.au.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Australia gifts Greek PM commemorative coin marking 85 years since Battle of Crete

Australia has presented Greece with a commemorative coin marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Greece and Crete.

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

You May Also Like

97-year-old Greek WWII veteran, Iakovos Tsounis, passes away

A descendant of the heroes of the revolution of 1821, Tsounis fought at the age of 16 in the Greek-Italian War of 1940.

Dr Panayiotis Diamadis to present ‘From Hydra to Parramatta’ in NSW

Dr Panayiotis Diamadis will speak on the topic “From Hydra to Parramatta” in August at the Parramatta and District Historical Society, NSW.

Greece’s Armed Forces chief warns Turkey against violation of Greek sovereignty

The chief of the Hellenic National Defense General Staff, Konstantinos Floros, has warned that Greece will not tolerate any violation of its sovereignty.