Christodoulides leaves Cyprus talks empty-handed as Tatar rejects key proposals

·

Cyprus President Nikos Christodoulides left Monday’s meeting with Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar frustrated, as three key proposals on confidence-building measures were rejected.

According to Cyprus Mail, Tatar refused to progress discussions on opening new crossing points, announcing the long-delayed Pyla agreement, or implementing the 2011 Mia Milia water-sharing deal.

Christodoulides said the talks were dominated by Tatar’s complaints about recent arrests made in the south over the usurpation of Greek Cypriot properties in the north.

“There is no positive response. It will be examined. We will see what happens,” Christodoulides stated, adding that the “yavas-yavas [slowly-slowly] approach is not working for the Cyprus problem.”

Despite setbacks, agreements were reached on restoring 30 cemeteries – 15 in each community – and launching the long-awaited Technical Committee on Youth. Some progress was also reported on environmental issues.

The President reiterated his commitment to a resolution and called for greater international involvement.

Tatar, meanwhile, expressed strong dissatisfaction over the property-related arrests, accusing the Greek Cypriot side of politicising the issue.

He said, “this issue greatly bothers the Turkish Cypriots,” and criticised the lack of common ground, though both sides agreed to meet again soon under UN auspices.

Source: Cyprus Mail

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Postal voting and land registry: Key topics during Greek parliamentarians’ Sydney visit

A meeting with Greek community media in Australia was held last week at the Consulate General of Greece in Sydney by four Greek MPs.

Costeen Hatzi sends positive message to Nick Kyrgios amid split

Influencer Costeen Hatzi has shared a farewell message to her ex-partner, tennis star Nick Kyrgios, following their March split.

‘You’ve got to sacrifice things’: Jess Sergis on her fresh start at the Roosters

Jessica Sergis has made some big changes on and off the field as she prepares for one of the busiest years for women’s rugby league.