British Museum hints at ‘sharing’ Parthenon Marbles with Greece

·

George Osborne, the Chair of the British Museum in the United Kingdom, said on Thursday a deal is in the works that could see the Parthenon Marbles shared with Greece.

“I think there is a way forward where these sculptures… could be seen both in London and in Athens, and that will be a win-win for Greece and for us,” he told the BBC.

When asked if that meant loans, he said: “We’re talking to the Greek government about that, about a new arrangement and what I didn’t want to do is force the Greeks to accept things that they find impossible, and equally they can’t force on us things that we would find impossible.”

So far, Osborne added, the British Museum was having “constructive talks” with the Greek government about the marbles.

George Osborne, the Chair of the British Museum in the United Kingdom.

The Parthenon Marbles were stolen by British diplomat Lord Elgin from the imposing Parthenon temple in Athens in the early 19th century.

The Greek government argues the sculptures were taken illegally when Greece was under Ottoman Turkish occupation and have consistently called for their return to Athens.

But Osborne ruled out a scenario where the sculptures could be handed over permanently, saying it would need a change of UK law.

“If we wanted to send all the Elgin Marbles back then that would require an act of parliament, and that would be beyond my authority,” he said. “But what the museum can do is try and form a new relationship with Greece… I’m reasonably optimistic.”

Source: AP News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Drew Pavlou claims ‘Billie Eilish got me deported from the US’

Australian activist Drew Pavlou says he was deported from the United States after spending 30 hours at LA International Airport.

South Melbourne FC and Heidelberg United FC off to winning starts in NPL Victoria

South Melbourne FC and Heidelberg United FC opened the new Victorian National Premier League season with wins.

George Calombaris returns to Melbourne with Auto Greek pop-up

George Calombaris is returning to Melbourne’s hospitality scene with Auto Greek, a one-month pop-up opening February 27.

Luke Sparos named as alleged mastermind of Moradian gangland murder

Luke Sparos has been identified as the man police allege orchestrated the 2023 execution-style killing of underworld figure Alen Moradian.

Sydney Olympic FC five-star display crushes SD Raiders FC

Sydney Olympic produced a commanding 5-1 victory over newly promoted SD Raiders FC in Round 2 of the NPL Men’s NSW.

You May Also Like

Georgia Kehagias announced South Australia’s Student Citizen of the Year

Year 12 student Georgia Kehagias was announced SA's Student Citizen of the Year and was presented with an award by the Governor of SA.

GOCNSW President Harry Danalis and Secretary Nia Karteris withdraw from elections

In a significant development ahead of the GOCNSW elections, current President Harry Danalis and Secretary Nia Karteris have withdrawn.

Farewell Scoop, you were certainly one of a kind, writes Andrew Paschalidis

Andrew Paschalidis writes in remembrance of his friend John Economos, who passed away on Monday at the age of 78.