Theo Papageorgiou’s parents hope his death will lead to change in SA’s mental health system

·

A damning inquest into Theo Papageorgiou’s tragic death has found that despite attending a Riverland hospital twice in January 2016 seeking to be admitted under the Mental Health Act, he “received no meaningful assistance.”

Speaking to The Advertiser, Theo’s parents, Jack and Poppy Papageorgiou, are now demanding change in South Australia’s mental health system.

“We believe this should never have happened and that our son was failed and we know that it must never happen again,” Jack Papageorgiou told the newspaper.

“The system should have been better than what it was for our son.”

Timeline of Events:

In November 2014, Theo’s mental health had begun to decline. He told his parents he was feeling depressed and not himself.

Theo’s mental health began to decline in November 2014.

He was taken to the Riverland General Hospital and then referred to a local GP who, several months later, placed him on anti-psychotic medication.

In November 24, 2015, Theo was placed on an inpatient order at the Riverland General Hospital after presenting with psychotic symptoms. He was misdiagnosed as experiencing a “first episode psychosis.” On December 1, he was released from the inpatient treatment order a day early.

On January 14, 2016, Theo was taken to the Riverland General Hospital by his parents after experiencing severe depression. He was sent home despite “red flags.”

On January 17, he was taken to hospital a second time, this time after his parents found him “distraught, frightened and highly anxious” in the middle of the night. He was sent home again. 

Just days later, on January 24, 2016, Theo was found dead by his father. 

Theo passed away on January 24, 2016.

A ‘preventable’ tragedy:

In his inquest findings, Deputy Coroner Anthony Schapel found that Theo’s death was preventable.

Mr Schapel noted systemic failures in dealing with Theo and his parents including that he had been misdiagnosed and there was no communication between the various services in the Riverland.

SA Health said in a statement on Monday: “we are reviewing the Coroner’s findings handed down recently and are considering the recommendation in detail.”

Source: The Advertiser.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

Aaron Zerefos Enterprises acquires Fresco Beverages 

Aaron Zerefos has announced the acquisition of the Fresco Beverages business, enhancing his hold on the Australian drink distribution market. 

Feros Group to take over premier waterfront venue in Darling Harbour

The Feros Group has announced they now own and operate the iconic Helm Bar & Bistro in Sydney's Darling Harbour.

Peter Mamouzelos aims to play in Greece as rugby league grows

Peter Mamouzelos has expressed his ambition to play rugby league in Greece, a goal that has been hindered in the past due to the sport's ban.

You May Also Like

Australian Business Summit Council launch fifth issue of ‘Ekonomos’

The Australian Business Summit Council Inc. hosted 250 business leaders, diplomats and politicians at its lavish Annual Gala Dinner.

Australian Ambassador meets with Greece’s Deputy Defence Minister

Australia's Ambassador to Greece, Alison Duncan, met with Greece's Deputy Defence Minister Giannis Kefalogiannis in Athens.

TGH Exclusive: Double amputee John Coutis OAM on being resilient and ‘living your best life’

John Coutis OAM was born with a rare form of spina bifida, but he defied doctors who told his parents he wouldn’t last a day by “refusing to die.”