Former cafe owner, Chris Tziomakis, in alleged baseball bat, machete brawl

·

An inner west café owner has been hauled before court for his alleged involvement in a violent brawl involving a baseball bat and machete, The Daily Telegraph reports.

Chris Tziomakis, who formerly owned the beloved Frappe cafes in Earlwood and Concord, allegedly armed himself with the bat while his mate had the blade in the two versus three melee.

He appeared in the Supreme Court last week on charges of affray and armed with intent to commit an indictable offence and was released on bail.

The alleged incident dates back to June 25, the court heard.

The 32-year-old from Bardwell Park allegedly visited a Kogarah business around 2pm and approached a woman with whom he has an unknown history, the court heard.

Chris Tziomakis has been released on bail. Photo: The Daily Telegraph.

She “took umbrage” with his presence, the court heard, and told him to “get out of here”, before he returned with verbal abuse.

She then allegedly approached the car and punched Tziomakis, breaking his nose, the court heard.

He left the scene but returned some time later with a baseball bat and a friend armed with a machete, it is alleged.

The court was told the pair confronted the woman, but were soon outnumber two-to-three when the woman’s partner and a male employee arrived.

It is alleged a tussle ensued and Tziomakis lost the baseball bat, before getting beaten with it as he lay on the ground, the court heard.

Chris Tziomakis pictured in Marrickville back in 2017. Photo: The Daily Telegraph.

“It seems that the original female assailant, her partner and employees were able to get the better of Mr Tziomakis,” Justice Stephen Campbell said.

“(He) couldn’t strike a blow with the baseball bat … and it was used against him.”

The court heard his friend with the machete ran off.

All those allegedly involved in the brawl, which was captured on CCTV, have been charged, the court heard, and are before Sutherland Local Court.

His barrister Ben Barrack told the court that although he was armed with a weapon, he didn’t use it, which reduced the seriousness of the offence.

There is “no suggestion he used the baseball bat or threatened violence with the baseball bat,” Mr Barrack said.

He also said he “came off worse” in both confrontations.

Mr Barrack told the court he is expected to plead not guilty to the offences on Wednesday, when his matter returns to Sutherland Local Court.

But Justice Stephen Campbell said instead of calling the police after he was punched in the face, he returned armed.

Tziomakis was granted bail on the condition he move to the regional town of Parkes to live with his cousin and not contact the other persons involved.

*This article was updated.

Source: The Daily Telegraph.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Melbourne to host 2026 Certificate of Attainment in Greek exams as registrations open

Registrations are now open for the 2026 Certificate of Attainment in Greek, with exams taking place this May at the GCM.

AHEPA NSW ORIONAS Hunters and Fishermen’s Club adopts constitutional changes 

On 18 January, the General Assembly of the AHEPA NSW ORIONAS Hunters and Fishermen’s Club was held, attended by approximately 50 members.

AHEPA Sydney & NSW’s high tea fundraiser to spotlight latest advances in cancer research

AHEPA Sydney & NSW Inc – Philanthropy will host a special High Tea Fundraiser next month, bringing together community members.

Alania’s ‘Night of Love’ launches 2026 in spectacular style

Sydney’s Greek community celebrated Valentine’s Day in memorable fashion at the Greek Community Club in Lakemba.

Greek Orthodox schools honour top HSC achievers at Sydney ceremony

Students from Sydney’s Greek Orthodox schools were formally recognised this week for their results in the 2025 NSW HSC examinations.

You May Also Like

Candalepas and Associates win design competition for Sydney apartment tower

Candalepas and Associates has won a design excellence competition for a hotel and apartment tower in central Sydney.

Tensions at Athens University rise as anniversary of ‘Athens Polytechnic Uprising’ approaches

Ongoing student protests at Athens University of Economics and Business are increasing tensions and violent responses from police. The protests began with the Greek...

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia backs call for calm after Sydney bishop terror attack

NSW Premier convened a meeting for faith leaders in the community following the attack on Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel and another clergyman.