Federal Government wasn’t notified of St Basil’s Fawkner coronavirus outbreak for nearly a week

·

Five days passed before the federal government was notified of a COVID outbreak at the St Basil’s aged-care home in Melbourne, an inquiry revealed.

A Senate inquiry was launched on Tuesday to investigate the government’s pandemic response to the COVID-19 outbreak at aged-care homes. The inquiry found multiple failures regarding the communication delivered from St Basil’s aged-care home to the federal government.

“At almost every step of the growing outbreaks of COVID-19 in nursing homes, the Morrison government has been behind the eight ball and the consequences are sadly tragic,” opposition aged-care spokeswoman Julie Collins said on Tuesday.

The St Basil’s providers were supposed to notify federal authorities and the state public health unit within half an hour of learning of an infection.

Senator Colbeck acknowledged several issues with the response to the St Basil’s outbreak.(ABC News: Ian Cutmore)

Both Senator Colbeck and Professor Murphy confirmed media reports that despite the first COVID-19 case at St Basil’s being identified on July 9, the Federal Government was not advised of the outbreak until July 14.

“The board chair became aware on the ninth [of July] but didn’t raise it with Commonwealth,” Brendan Murphy, health department secretary and former chief medical officer, told the hearing.

St Basil’s management has previously disputed these allegations, arguing state authorities were notified on July 9.

Professor Murphy said the delay was likely due to state health officials being overwhelmed.

The Federal Government had to step in to help manage St Basil’s aged care home.(ABC News)

“I think the challenge was with the huge, overwhelming amount of community transmission. The Victorian public health unit had some delays in both getting tests back and identifying and analysing this was an aged-care outbreak,” he said.

St Basil’s has so far suffered approximately 20 deaths, along with 142 confirmed infections. Senators, including Labor senator Katy Gallagher, have blamed this failure in communication for the cause of the tragedy experienced by residents.

“There was a five-day window where the Commonwealth had no line of sight or understanding that there was an outbreak at St Basil’s,” she said.

Federal health authorities initiated widespread testing at St Basil’s on July 15.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Victorian futsal referee Maria Patrikis recognised at Vic Sport Awards

Football Victoria has announced Maria Patrikis has been named the Sports Accounting Australia Official of the Year at the Vic Sport Awards.

Katina Apostoleris sues Sunbury childcare centre over alleged arm injury to daughter

Katina Apostoleris is suing Sunbury childcare centre Woodlands Education after alleging her daughter Isabella suffered a dislocated elbow.

Voco Darwin suites open as family honours builder John Halikos

A new 88-room Voco hotel development in Darwin has opened as a tribute to late Territory builder John Halikos.

$180 million Axion Estin redevelopment awaits ministerial approval in Victoria

A $180 million redevelopment of the Holy Monastery of Axion Estin, a Greek Orthodox church site in Northcote, is under consideration.

Peter V’landys alleges ‘retaliation’ in defamation case against racing website owner

Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys is accusing racehorse news owner Vicky Leonard of publishing an allegedly defamatory article.

You May Also Like

Greece draws with France in Euro 2024 qualifying match

Greece's team played an excellent second half to draw 2-2 with France in its final Euro 2024 qualifying match.

South Melbourne FC announces co-Presidents as club enters new era

Under the new governance model, South Melbourne FC will now be led by two Co-Presidents - Andrew Mesourouni and Bill Papastergiadis.

Pope Leo XIV in Turkey: Dialogue and the renewed push for a unified Easter date

Pope Leo XIV’s first apostolic journey to Istanbul marked a historic moment in Catholic–Orthodox relations, bringing three days of prayer.