Billionaire Con Makris puts $200m of shopping centres up for sale

·

Adelaide’s richest man, Con Makris, has listed two shopping centres in Adelaide worth a combined price tag of $200 million.

The property tycoon is divesting the City Cross shopping centre which runs off Grenfell Street in the Adelaide CBD, while also offloading the North Adelaide Village neighbourhood shopping complex.

Mr Makris had an estimated personal fortune of $1.31 billion in the 2019 Financial Review Rich List.

CBRE’s Simon Rooney and James Douglas have been appointed to steer the sale campaign on behalf of the Makris Group, South Australia’s largest privately-owned retail property group.

The North Adelaide Village Shopping Centre is being sold by Con Makris.

The City Cross shopping centre includes anchor tenants Harvey Norman, Rebel Sport and Australia Post. There is also a large food court and the complex has 57 specialty tenancies overall. It also includes an adjacent office complex.

The North Adelaide Village Shopping Centre on O’Connell Street in North Adelaide, is about 3km from the heart of the CBD. It is in a wealthy catchment area and close to the iconic Adelaide Oval and St Peter’s Cathedral.

Mr Rooney expects robust demand even in a tough economy.

“Adelaide’s retail yield spread relative to Sydney and Melbourne, with added tax efficiencies, make it an attractive state in which to invest,” Mr Rooney said.

“There has been significant interest in Adelaide in recent years from domestic and offshore investors, who have acquired circa $700 million of retail assets.”

South Australian billionaire developer Con Makris. Photo: The Advertiser.

Mr Makris late last year sold the Newton Village Shopping Centre in Adelaide’s north-western suburbs in an off-market deal worth $35 million.

The Newton Village Shopping Centre was bought by Sydney-based property group Revelop.

Mr Makris arrived in Adelaide as a teenager in 1964 from Greece before building up a vast property development and shopping centre empire after starting off with a chicken shop.

He stepped back from the day-to-day operations of the Makris Group several years ago and put in place an independent advisory board to guide expansion, which has been focused on Queensland.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

St Euphemia College hosts Hellenic National Defence delegation

St Euphemia College welcomed a distinguished delegation from the Hellenic National Defence General Staff (HNDGS).

St Spyridon College students shine at 2026 da Vinci Decathlon

Students from St Spyridon College took part in the 2026 da Vinci Decathlon at Knox Grammar School, with selected participants.

Oakleigh Grammar celebrates 10 years of changing lives with the Arrowsmith Program

Oakleigh Grammar proudly marked a significant milestone, celebrating 10 years of the Arrowsmith Program with a special evening.

You May Also Like

Surgical robot at Sydney hospital named in memory of quiet philanthropist Alexandria Phirros

A pioneering piece of surgical technology at Royal North Shore Hospital (RNSH) has been named Alexis in memory of Alexandria Phirros.

Some members of the Cyprus Community of NSW raise concerns ahead of AGM

Some members of the Cyprus Community of NSW have raised a number of concerns ahead of an Annual General Meeting on Sunday, August 27.

Alex Agelopoulos: Violent pitch invader from Melbourne to plead guilty

Lawyers for Melbourne man Alex Agelopoulos, have told the courts he will plead guilty for the pitch invasion attack on goalkeeper Tom Glover.