Accused serial stabber Christopher Raftopoulos refuses to front Melbourne court

·

Accused serial stabber, Christopher Raftopoulos has refused to speak to anybody, including his lawyer, after being arrested in Melbourne, Victoria over the weekend.

According to Nine News, 31-year-old Raftopoulos is accused of carrying a bag of knives and going on an unprovoked stabbing spree over three hours in Melbourne’s inner suburbs between January 6 and January 7.

Victorian police allege he may have used multiple different knives to stab five people in four separate attacks across the CBD and St Kilda.

Raftopoulos was due to face Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday morning, but he did not appear in person or via video link. He was charged with more than a dozen assault offences.

The stabber’s lawyer, Michael Amad said Raftopoulos was refusing to speak to him.

Raftopoulos
The stabbings took place in Melbourne’s CBD. Photo: Nine News.

“Regrettably, Mr Raftopoulos is not prepared to speak to anyone,” he said. “I attempted to speak to him about an hour ago and his position is he does not wish to speak to anyone.”

Mr Amad submitted a mental health report on Raftopoulos to the court, and shared that his client was not engaged with any mental services as of yet, but was previously ordered to undergo community treatment.

“Perhaps if the matter could be adjourned for a few days, he may be in a better place in respect to giving instructions,” Mr Amad said.

The lawyer was then instructed by Magistrate Rose Falla to organise for mental health specialists to speak to Raftopoulos as he “may or may not be suffering from a psychiatric episode or be psychiatrically unwell.”

“I want Forensicare to say they spoke to him today … and what their observations are of him today,” she said.

The Magistrate needs the information before she decides whether to adjourn the case.

Source: Nine News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Lonely Planet names Greece the top travel destination for sustainable food

Greece has been named as the top travel destination for sustainable food in Lonely Planet's 'Best in Travel 2021' list.

Rethymno wins European Sustainable Urban Mobility Award

Rethymno, the Cretan city of 55,000 has been crowned the winner of the EU Urban Road Safety Award by the Europen Commission.

Moray & Agnew hosts end-of-year client celebration with Assistant Defence Minister

Moray & Agnew Lawyers brought clients and leaders together for its annual end-of-year celebration in Melbourne.