Accused Easey St killer Perry Kouroumblis to face court after landing in Melbourne

·

Perry Kouroumblis is set to face murder charges nearly 47 years after the brutal 1977 killings of two women in Melbourne, following his extradition from Italy to Australia.

The 65-year-old Australian-Greek dual citizen arrived in Melbourne on Tuesday, December 3 at night.

Kouroumblis is accused of the murders of Suzanne Armstrong, 28, and Susan Bartlett, 27, who were found stabbed to death in their home in a “gruesome, horrific, frenzied homicide.” Armstrong was also raped, with DNA evidence collected at the scene.

Armstrong’s 16-month-old child was left unharmed in a cot nearby, with neighbours discovering the crime days later after hearing the baby’s cries.

Kouroumblis arrived in Melbourne late on Tuesday night. Photo: NewsWire / Jason Edwards.

Kouroumblis, who had been living in Greece, was arrested by Interpol at Rome’s Fiumicino Airport. Despite an extradition treaty between Australia and Greece, a Greek law previously prevented his arrest, as charges must be filed within 20 years of an offence.

Kouroumblis’ public defender, Serena Tucci, explained that he was unaware of Italy’s different legal requirements.

“He had no idea that there was a different law in Italy,” Tucci said. “He said he wants to come back to Australia and explain everything.”

Kouroumblis is expected to be formally charged with two counts of murder and one count of rape at a Melbourne court today. He had lived near the victims and was a 17-year-old student at the same school where Bartlett taught, but continues to maintain his innocence.

After his extradition flight from Rome, Kouroumblis was escorted to Melbourne’s police headquarters, where he spent the night ahead of his court appearance.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

What’s on for Greek Independence Day around Australia this year

The Greek Herald has the lowdown on what you can attend over the next few days to mark Greek Independence Day.

Hammer attack victim Michael Kriticos gives evidence in court

Mark Andrew Sandery, 53, is standing trial for a hammer attack on Michael Kriticos, 58, in Exeter on November 8, 2022.

Leaders in Greece and Australia send messages to mark the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

Leaders in Greece and Australia have sent special messages to mark the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Crete today.