Greek lentil soup (or fakes) is a staple in the Greek kitchen and a very filling meal. Anastacia Patsolaridis from Anastacia’s Kitchen shares her authentic recipe with us.
- 375g French style lentils
- 2 carrots
- 3 celery sticks
- 2 potatoes
- 4 onions
- 2 tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 vegetable stock cubes
- 250g tomato sauce
- 11 cups water
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Oregano leaves
- 2 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
1. Dice your onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, tomatoes and garlic cloves.
2. Drizzle olive oil in a large pot and over medium-high heat and sauté the onions until softened.
3. Add your garlic and sauté for a further minute.
4. Add the remaining vegetables, the salt, pepper, paprika and oregano. Sauté for around 5 minutes.
5. Add lentils and tomato sauce. Stir over high heat for around 5 minutes.
6. Add all of the water and the bay leaves. Bring the pot to a boil and add the three stock cubes.
7. Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for approximately 45 minutes until the soup thickens. Serve with your favourite sides such as feta and bread and even a dash of vinegar goes well!