Adapting in lockdown: Greek Australian food truck owners set up shop in their driveway

·

Food truck owners Angeliki Paxinos and Gabriel Kontelos were on a roll selling souvlaki and meat packs at Peakhurst Food Markets the day NSW fell under a two-week lockdown in June. 

Gabriel Kontelos co-owns Nisos Food Truck with his wife Angeliki in Glenfield and says it took him about a year to make the 2.4m x 1.8m trailer “from scratch” before they began attending markets less than two months ago. 

“About a year ago, I decided maybe I should get a trailer and start doing the same thing I started to do in Darwin,” he says. 

Kontelos says Nisos Food Truck is an extension of his parents’ former restaurant in Darwin.

Fofis Greek Kitchen, named after his mother Fofis, operated for about three years before the Kontelos family decided to move back “home” to Greece in 2018. 

“[Mum and dad] are the spinal cord of this business. Mum does the deserts and dad does the food.”

Less than a year later, the family moved back and set the food truck in motion but today find themselves confined to their driveway. 

“In the beginning, I did feel a little bit uncomfortable … but it’s just the driveway. Plus, there was no other choice … Due to coronavirus, we can’t operate anywhere else,” he says. 

Mrs. Paxinos told A Current Affair that they’ve had a lot of support from the community.

“Since we can’t travel very far, they’ve got take away food at their doorstep,” she said.

“We’ve got souvlaki, meat packs, tzatziki and pita bread, chips, and a lot of pre-ordered food.”

“When we got the approval from the council they did tell us since COVID they’ve allowed people to be trading from home.”

Mr. Kontelos echoes a similar sentiment.

“We didn’t expect the first day to have that many people … The first day we started was massive,” he says. 

He says the truck will benefit from a recent A Current Affair appearance and social media advertising. 

*Do you have a similar community story? Email us at: greek@foreignlanguage.com.au

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

IHO NYX brings Greek Rock to centre stage in Sydney this weekend

As Sunday, April 6 approaches, all eyes are on IHO NYX, the band ready to electrify Sydney with a concert dedicated entirely to Greek Rock.

Party for a purpose: Support the Pontian House at the Winter Wonderland Gala 2025

The Pontian Association of NSW Pontoxeniteas will host its highly anticipated Winter Wonderland Gala 2025 on Saturday, May 31, at 6.30 PM.

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

You May Also Like

Greek parliamentarians promise action, but Australia’s diaspora needs more than words

Last week, a meeting was held at Melbourne’s Greek Centre, where the Greek parliamentarians had a lot to say. 

Marcus Stoinis re-signs with Melbourne Stars for three years

Marcus Stoinis has extended his time at the Melbourne Stars to a 14th season after signing a three-year deal. Read more here.

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia condemns conversion of Hagia Sophia into Mosque

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia have released a statement on decision to convert Hagia Sophia to mosque, denouncing Turkish Prime Ministers actions.