In 2021, Greece will be celebrating the 200th anniversary of the uprising of Greek revolutionaries against the Ottoman occupation in the Greek War of Independence, also known as the Greek Revolution.
An international calendar of events has been endorsed by the Greek Government to acknowledge this anniversary.
In South Australia, the Foundation for Hellenic Studies is launching ‘Gr2021’ as the promotional platform for events commemorating the bicentennial. All community groups and individual organisers are invited to send their details and event information to email@example.com for inclusion on the website.
In Australia, one of the earliest Greek diaspora communities will be establishing a permanent monument on Rose Street Thebarton, between St George Church and St George College, Thebarton, which has been made possible with the support of members of the SA community.
Additional events will be announced over the coming months, with the following events confirmed:
- The official unveiling of the permanent memorial at a community event on 25th March 2021, to honour in perpetuity those who made the ultimate sacrifice to secure freedom for Greece.
- The launch of the inaugural St George College Biennial Art Prize with a prize pool of $11,000 and the 2021 theme of “Revolution – what Independence means for the World.” The prize winners for sculpture and work on canvas/paper will be judged by a panel of acclaimed artists and critics, presenting the judges’ selection of first, second and third prize, and a Democratic (People’s) Choice award. The prize winners will be announced at a twilight event on July 2, 2021 at the opening of the public exhibition to be held in the St George College Art Gallery. Entry forms will be released via Gr2021.com.au and www.sgc.sa.edu.au on October 15, 2020. Art will be available for purchase.
- A return visit of the Evzones for ANZAC Day (subject to COVID19 restrictions).
- A Bourdo Photography exhibition and projections chronicling the Spirit of the Evzones, in late April.
- A lecture series including one by Dr George Frazis for students of all ages on May 27, 2021.
- Book launch of books written by people of Greek origin or with a Hellenic theme in June 2021.
Interested participants can sign up online to receive news, announcements and invitations to attend events, including the unveiling of the Memorial and the Art Prize and Exhibition.