Israel to help Orthodox Christians share ‘holy fire’ amid coronavirus outbreak [VIDEO]

·

Israel is working with foreign governments and Orthodox Christian leaders in the Holy Land to make sure that one of their most ancient and mysterious rituals — the Holy Fire ceremony — is not extinguished by the coronavirus outbreak, officials said Friday.

Each year, thousands of worshippers flock to Jerusalem’s Old City and pack into the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, built on the site where Christian tradition holds that Jesus was crucified, buried and resurrected, for the pre-Easter ceremony.

Top Eastern Orthodox clerics enter the Edicule, the small chamber marking the site of Jesus’ tomb, and exit with candles said to be miraculously lit with “holy fire” as a message to the faithful.

The flame is normally shared with candle-holding pilgrims and even sent in special containers to Orthodox Christian communities around the world. Details of the flame’s source are a closely guarded secret.

But due to a ban on large public gatherings this year because of the coronavirus pandemic, Israeli officials say the April 18 ceremony will be limited to about 10 religious leaders from various Orthodox denominations. They have also developed a creative way to deliver the flame to overseas communities.

Because anyone entering Israel must go into quarantine, foreign dignitaries coming to pick up the flame will receive it on their plane and immediately return home.

Akiva Tor, who heads the Israeli Foreign Ministry’s department for world religions, said the arrangement has been discussed with local church leaders and coordinated with several foreign countries with large Orthodox populations, including Greece, Russia, Georgia and Ukraine.

Tor said church officials have been understanding.

“We have the same goal in mind, which is to enable the continuation of this miraculous event while being respectful of the medical emergency which is taking place,” Mr Tor said.

Israel has reported more than 7,000 confirmed cases and at least 36 deaths.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Greek and British Prime Ministers discuss Ukraine crisis

Kyriakos Mitsotakis had a phone conversation with his British counterpart on Tuesday and discussed Greece's support for Ukraine.

Greece to build permanent migrant centre on Lesvos to replace Moria

Greece will build a permanent migrant reception centre on Lesvos to replace the overcrowded refugee camp destroyed by a fire last week.

Nick Kyrgios withdraws from Wimbledon

Tennis star Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from Wimbledon this year after experiencing a torn ligament in his wrist.