Mount Sinai Monastery shuts gates amid legal dispute over ownership

·

The monks of the historic Saint Catherine’s Monastery at Mount Sinai have closed its gates to all visitors in protest of an Egyptian court ruling that threatens its ownership rights.

According to Protothema.gr, the monastic community of 20 monks has resolved to remain in seclusion, mourning and praying for the monastery’s protection, with no timeline for reopening provided.

This symbolic act follows a May 28 decision by an Egyptian court, which denied ownership rights to the Greek Orthodox monastery—granting only usage rights over its properties and surrounding lands.

Founded in the 6th century by Emperor Justinian I, Saint Catherine’s is the world’s oldest continuously operating Christian monastery and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The ruling has raised international concern over the future of the revered site.

In response, the monks plan to launch a global awareness campaign, appealing to Christian churches and other religious communities.

Photo: Getty.

His All-Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew described the court ruling as a “painful surprise” and urged Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi to uphold the monastery’s traditional ownership, respected even under Islamic rule.

“The Ecumenical Patriarchate appeals to the Egyptian government to preserve the monastery’s ownership status — an arrangement that Islam itself has respected and safeguarded for centuries — and to implement the recent agreement reached with the monastery,” his statement read.

While Egypt’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs dismissed the threat to the monastery as a “rumour,” it confirmed that contracts had been signed to designate surrounding areas as natural reserves.

Officials stated the monks retain access and usage rights, but the ruling implies the site is now considered state property—ending its autonomous legal status.

Greece has expressed serious concern. Greek Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lana Zohiou confirmed that diplomatic discussions are underway.

“There is no room for deviating from the common understanding,” she said, referring to prior agreements between Greece and Egypt reaffirming the monastery’s sacred character. A Greek delegation is expected in Cairo this week.

Previous negotiations between the monastery’s legal representative, Archbishop Damianos, and South Sinai Governor Khaled Bakri, had produced a draft agreement recognising the monastery’s ownership. However, the agreement was never signed, leaving the door open to the unfavourable ruling.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Son who lost 92-year-old mother becomes first to take legal action against Epping Gardens aged-care facility

John Karantzis said families his company represented suffered “stress and anxiety as result of actions of the management of Epping Gardens.

Greece grants permanent protected status to wildlife haven Gyaros

Greece has formally enacted legislation designating Gyaros as a marine protected area, securing long-term safeguards.

Greek shipowner and industrialist, Constantinos Angelopoulos, dies aged 76

Greek industrialist and shipowner, Constantinos Angelopoulos, died in Athens on Monday at the age of seventy-six.