Archbishop Makarios of Australia sends message to the faithful about the current Sydney lockdown

·

His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message of support to the Greek Orthodox community in Sydney, who are currently experiencing a resurgence in COVID-19 cases and lockdown restrictions.

In his message, Archbishop Makarios said that it is our duty “not to leave anyone alone in the crisis,” and encouraged people to get vaccinated against COVID- 19 “in order to achieve the best possible control of the pandemic.”

Full Message in English:

My beloved brethren and children in the Lord,

It is a fact that in recent weeks, the nightmare of the pandemic has resumed in Australia, plaguing, in particular, the state of New South Wales and its capital, Sydney. For this reason, state authorities have enacted strict measures to curb the spread of the deadly virus. The thoughts of all of us, at this critical time, are with the dozens of people who have contracted the virus and are being treated in various hospitals. I ask that you please pray for the speedy recovery of those who are ill, and that their relatives and friends be given strength as they live through moments of apprehension and mental anguish. Let us also pray for the repose of the soul of the first victim, for this year, with coronavirus.

His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia.

At the same time, it is our duty to reflect upon the economic and social consequences of the current crisis and to seek solutions for our fellow human beings who are being severely affected by the current constraints. I urge all Greeks, and every person of good will, to mobilise all their reserves of love and compassion in order to create a strong net of protection for those who are suffering and in need. Our local Church is firmly at the forefront of this struggle. The Greek Welfare Centre of our Holy Archdiocese, under the direction of the distinguished Mr Steve Magdas has, for many years, been performing remarkably and now, in light of recent developments, the staff and volunteers are constantly intensifying their efforts to meet increased needs. Anyone who requires help is encouraged to contact the Greek Welfare Centre on (02) 9516 2188 or with those who are in charge of local parishes. Furthermore, I fervently plea with all our brethren, if they are aware of anyone, be it a relative or a person from their wider social environment, who needs any kind of support, to immediately inform the Greek Welfare Centre, or their local parish, or the offices of our Holy Archdiocese. We have a duty not to leave anyone alone in this crisis but to face and overcome it with a spirit of solidarity and unity.

In addition, I take this opportunity to ask you, once again, to strictly follow the instructions and guidelines of the health experts and relevant government authorities in order to tackle the pandemic as effectively as possible and to free us from the unbearable constraints as quickly as possible. I also urge, with paternal love and responsibility, if you have not already done so, to get vaccinated against Covid-19 in order to achieve the best possible control of the pandemic. Unfortunately, Australia has one of the lowest rates of people who are vaccinated among the population compared to other countries in the world. We must not forget that vaccination constitutes an act of self-protection, but, primarily, it is an act of love and solidarity for our family, community, and the wider society to which we belong.

I join my prayers with those of the God-loving Bishops of the Holy Archdiocese of Australia, wishing you all good health and strength, and praying that our benevolent God strengthens everyone and quickly frees humanity from this terrible ordeal of the pandemic.

With paternal blessings and love in Christ

On the 12th of July 2021,

Your Archbishop.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greek parliamentarians promise action, but Australia’s diaspora needs more than words

By Mary Sinanidis. Four representatives of the Special Permanent Committee on Greeks Abroad (consisting of 31 MPs) said they came “to listen” to the Australian...

Finalists announced for the 1st Greek Youth Creative Arts Competition 2024

The Greek Festival of Sydney has exclusively announced to The Greek Herald the finalists of its ‘1st Greek Youth Creative Arts Competition.’ The theme of the inaugural competition...

Castellorizian Association of NSW hosts Cazzie Kids Easter event

On Monday, April 15, the Castellorizian Association of NSW welcomed kids and families for their Cazzie Kids Easter event. Held at The Castellorizian, a community centre...

National Second Tier club representatives hold meetings to plan for next year’s launch

Soccer clubs across the nation are gearing up for a significant milestone in Australian football history, the launch of the National Second Tier (NST)...

Jon Adgemis’ Public Hospitality Group lists first pub for sale amid mounting debt

The owner of Public Hospitality Group (PHG) Jon Adgemis has listed his first pub on the market, following the collapse of his debt deal...

You May Also Like

South Melbourne FC hold annual Christmas celebration

By Bill Roumeliotis. The South Melbourne Football Club held its annual Christmas celebration at Lakeside Stadium on Monday, December 18. South Melbourne President Nick Maikousis...

Fire destroys historic Byzantine monastery in Central Greece

A fire has destroyed a section of the Byzantine Monastery of Panagia Varnakova in Fokida, central Greece, after breaking out after 11pm on Sunday. According...

Stefanos Tsitsipas seeks to raise funds for fire and flood victims of Greece

Stefanos Tsitsipas calls for funds to be raised for victims of the recent natural disasters that struck Greece. From the devastating fires to the...