‘A stronger community for all,’ says GOCM President Bill Papastergiadis after re-election

·

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s election was held in a calm and positive environment on Sunday. The result delivered a mandate for a steady hand to deliver the Community’s program.

“I would like to thank everyone who took part in one of the most important Community elections in recent years,” Bill Papastergiadis OAM, who was re-elected President of the Community, said in a press release.

“I wanted to emphasise that whilst we welcome election victory, our focus stems from belief in community, unity, harmony and progress. I am proud to work with a team that is experienced, dynamic and enthusiastic.”

The new elected board is made up of: Jim Bossinakis, Alexi Costa, Nick Dallas, Spiridoula Demetriou, Mina Giannelis, Helene Hiotis, Michael Karamitos, Nick Koukouvitakis, Dean Kotsianis, Vicky Kyritstis, Marini Pirpiris, Tass Sgardelis, Anthea Sidiropoulos, Chris Sikavitsas, Kostas Stefanidis, Manuel Tsimiris, Jeana Vithoulkas, Leo Vlahakis. 

“I’d like to also acknowledge all of the other candidates who contested these elections. I know that their commitment to Community is genuine and passionate,” Mr Papastergiadis continued.

“I would also like to, in particular, thank the outgoing members of our Board of Management for their many years of support and service. Thank you Angela Georalis, Vasso Zangalis, Tammy Iliou, Stavroula Kalliani, Spiro Papadopoulos, Georgina Pattas, Theo Markos and Costa Markos.

“Yesterday’s elections and the whole management of the election process does not happen without the excellent organisation and efforts of the Electoral Committee.

“We now set ourselves to steer our organisation towards the future. A future that is a bright and united and where all ideas are welcome. A future that features but one result, a stronger Community for all.”

Mr Papastergiadis’ opponent party, Community Unity, this afternoon congratulated Mr Papastergiadis on his re-election and wished the Board of Directors “every success.”

“We will be in solidarity with any initiative of the new Board of Directors, which will promote the interests of the Community, the Community as an institution and the wider Greek community,” the announcement reads.

A new board cannot be formed until nine days after the election, when the electoral committee calls for the first board meeting.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Axion Esti’ concert to be celebrated in three Australian cities

Composer Mikis Theodorakis' stirring musical oratorio "Axion Esti" to lyrics by Nobel Prize-winning poet Odysseus Elytis set for Australia.

Greek Orthodox Community of SA youth enjoy Easter craft workshop

The Greek Orthodox Community of SA (GOCSA) youth took part in an Orthodox Easter Workshop on Sunday, April 21 at Olympic Hall.

Voting, Citizenship, Identity: Interview with Consul General of Greece in Adelaide, George Psiachas

In his exclusive interview with The Greek Herald, Consul General of Greece in Adelaide, George Psiachas unpacks core responsibilities.

Sydney’s Greek, Armenian and Assyrian communities March for Justice

The Armenian, Assyrian and Hellenic communities joined voices to demand Federal parliamentary recognition of their ancestors' genocides.

The Block winners Steph and Gian sell Bexley home for almost $2 million

Last year’s winners of The Block, Steph and Gian Ottavio, have sold their renovated home in Sydney's Bexley for $1,825,000.

You May Also Like

Australian Government unveils $130 billion support package

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has pledged $130 billion over the next six months to help Australians who have found themselves out of work.

Nick Kyrgios to go to Wimbledon without grasscourt warm-up

Tennis star, Nick Kyrgios, will kick-off his Wimbledon campaign without playing any grasscourt tournaments in the weeks prior.

Cyprus Community of NSW committed to working with Inner West Council on rezoning plan

The Cyprus Community of NSW have committed to working with the Inner West Council to progress their rezoning plan for The Cyprus Club.