Two Greek Australians among finalists for South Australia’s science and innovation awards 

·

Professor Maria Makrides from the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI) and artist Niki Sperou from the Centre for Marine Bioproducts Development (CMBD) at Flinders University are among the 2022 SA Science Excellence and Innovation Awards finalists.

The awards showcase the critical importance of science, research and innovation to the development of industry and society as a whole and provide an opportunity to recognise the work of inspiring Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) leaders and teams working in research and education institutions, schools, industry and the community.

“It is rewarding, humbling and I feel like I am already a winner by being a finalist,” internationally recognised researcher and Deputy Director at SAHMRI, Professor Maria Makrides told The Greek Herald

Makrides is a finalist in the Scientist of the Year category.

“To have the work my team and I have done over the last 20 odd years recognised is great,” she said. 

The Greek Australian heads one of the premier research centres at the forefront of mother-infant nutrition research in the world, leading a large, multidisciplinary team of more than 70 staff and students. 

“I’ve always been interested in science. Originally, I did a science degree in Melbourne and I came to Adelaide to do nutrition and dietetics. From there, I recognised that I was most interested in nutritional research and in finding better ways to improve health outcomes for mothers and babies through nutrition,” she said. 

Professor Makrides and her team led the clinical studies that have changed the composition of infant formulae, changed international food laws, updated infant feeding guidelines to introduce allergenic foods (such as eggs and peanuts), and established specific nutrient recommendations for pregnancy and infancy worldwide.  

Professor Maria Makrides holding the secret to fewer prem babies. Photo via The Advertiser

“The work we are doing now has really highlighted that for some women who are low in Omega-3 fatty acids we can actually reduce the risk of them having a premature baby by supplementing those fatty acids.

“At the moment, in South Australia we’ve got a state wide program to evaluate if we can see the same effects that we have seen in our clinical trials in the community, by adding an Omega-3 test to the usual pregnancy tests that happen in the first trimester.” 

And has her background influenced her research? 

“If you are thinking about the Mediterranean diet, you can certainly achieve a good state of Omega-3 sufficiency without supplements,” she said.

Asked about her advice for young scientists, she said it’s all about persistence and not giving up or compromising on the quality of work even when things get tough.

“Finding a way to maintain the quality of science is really important, because in the end this is what’s going to give us the most truthful result and have the biggest impact.”

CMBD SA Science Awards Team. Left to right, Leo Lin (industry partner), Prof Chris Franco, Peng Su, Niki Sperou, Prof Wei Zhang (CMBD Flinders University)

Artist Niki Sperou and the team at the Centre for Marine Bioproducts Development, led by Professor Wei Zhang, are also finalists for the second year in the Excellence in Science and Industry Collaboration category. 

The team use resources found in the ocean and transform them into new products such as medicines, biodegradable plastics, bio inks, nutrition drinks, and eco-friendly fertilisers. Using “green Chemistry”, they refine the manufacturing process to reduce waste, energy use, and the need for harmful chemicals.

In a previous interview Ms Sperou had said that her Greek language skills are useful in the lab while she often uses philosophy and mythology to explain science. 

CMBD is embarking on the next stage of their mission, leading a new $270 million Marine Bioproducts Cooperative Research Centre that is expected to create over 26,000 new jobs and generate $8.6 billion for the Australian economy.

The winners will be announced at the Award celebration on 25 November. 

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

Sydney’s Greek community pays respect to the heroines of Zalongo

The Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a commemoration event to mark the 220th anniversary of the Dance of Zalongo. 

Two Greeks confirmed in Matildas squad for Under-20s Women’s Asian Cup 2024

Amongst the 23-player squad, are two Greek Australian girls, Alexia Apostolakis and Peta Trimis, who have been confirmed to play.

Agricultural hot spot Thessaly faces shortages from floods in Greece

Following storm Daniel in Central Greece last week, the Thessaly Plain faces the prospect of scarcities and escalating prices.