Peta Antypas awarded $12,500 medical student scholarship in Tasmania

·

Panayiota ‘Peta’ Antypas has been awarded a $12,500 Medical Student Research Scholarship by the Clifford Craig Foundation as part of its commitment to health education.

The scholarships are designed to provide fourth-year medical students with the financial support they need to conduct a selected independent research project at the Launceston Clinical School and Launceston General Hospital.

After a competitive selection process, Antypas was announced as a recipient for 2024-25, alongside Josephine Read, who are both studying a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery with the University of Tasmania.

While initially interested in law, the possibility to combine Peta’s love of science with a passion for activism drew her to a career in medicine.

Peta has also been inspired by her own health experiences.

“I had a neurological scare a few years ago where I lost all function in my upper limbs,” Antypas explained.

“It was a really difficult time and a real struggle, but it also helped me develop this really profound empathy for patients”, Antypas added.

“Research goes hand in hand with neurology, and I hope through my work I will be able to help patients – if not now, but into the future.” 

Source: Clifford Craig

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

10 years on, Michelle Gribilas shares how world-first ‘heart in a box’ transplant saved her

Michelle will celebrate her 10-year transplant milestone in July alongside being the first DCD heart transplant patient on July 14, 2014. 

Victoria’s Greek National Day Council to hold elections

Victoria's Greek National Day Council is holding elections on Monday, May 13 at 7pm to appoint a new Executive Committee.

Australian Institute of Macedonian Studies calls for action against website breaching Prespa Treaty

The Australian Institute of Macedonian Studies has called for action against a website that breaches the Prespa Treaty.

St Spyridon College hosts 2024 National Schools Event

Greek Orthodox Schools from around the country descended on host school St Spyridon College for the 2024 National Schools Event.

Annual Pontian Genocide Memorial Seminar to be held in Melbourne

The Greek Community of Melbourne (GCM) will host the Annual Pontian Genocide Memorial Seminar: Pontus the Opera.

You May Also Like

Greek Prime Minister to meet US President Biden at the White House in May

Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, will visit the White House on May 16 to meet US President, Joe Biden.

Dutch king returns from Greek vacation after lockdown uproar

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima said in a statement that they saw the reactions of people, “which are intense, and they touch us

‘State of emergency’ not over on Evros border, Minister says

Citizens’ Protection Minister Michalis Chrysochoidis joined his Defence counterpart Nikos Panagiotopoulos on visit to Greek-Turkish border area of Evros.