‘Huge honour’: Effie Cinnani selected for the Multicultural Communities Leadership Action Program

·

Greek Australian business woman, Effie Cinanni, has been selected to participate in the Victorian Multicultural Commissions’ – Multicultural Communities Leadership in Action Program in 2022.

The program aims to build the capability of multicultural and multifaith leaders to engage effectively with government, in order for them to learn to become informed and influential community advocates to help mobilise and educate their communities. 

Effie is the Founder and Director of Small Chilli Marketing and Co-founder of the Northern Multicultural Small Business Awards.

She was selected for the women’s stream of the program and will participate in the program from February through to May 2022.

“This really is a huge honour and a privilege, I didn’t expect to be selected among so many applicants to help serve my community in this way, but I am delighted to be given this opportunity,” Effie says.

The Glue Show

“I am really looking forward to building my skills and strengthening my community engagement capability in order to be able to do more for the Greek Community and other multicultural communities here in Victoria.”

To celebrate this exciting news, we sat down with Effie to see how she plans to use this leadership program to her advantage.

1. Why did you decide to apply for the leadership program?

I worked in Greek language schools across Melbourne teaching Greek folk dancing from 1994 – 2008 and have always tried to use that role to inspire others to be ‘culture keepers.’ In 2016, I was given the opportunity to run an event for the Victorian Small Business Festival.

I am the founder and director of a boutique marketing agency called Small chilli marketing and I have always been passionate about multicultural affairs and creating community harmony here in Australia. I’m also very focused on gender equality and women in business. As such, I partnered with a client of mine, The Brotherhood of St Laurence, and co-founded the Northern Multicultural Small Business Awards. 

I decided to apply for the VMC’s  leadership program in order to learn more and build my skills and capacity to become a stronger community advocate. The program seeks to enable participants to learn how to:

• become influential and informed community advocates.
  • navigate and collaborate with government.
  • be more able to mobilise and educate their communities; and
  • strengthen their civic and community engagement capability.

Participants will:

• join a network of hundreds of like-minded cultural and faith leaders.
  • develop great potential to create collaborative partnerships and projects.
  • be connected with government representatives; and
  • be more likely to hold future roles in senior community service and on government boards and committees.

2. How will you inspire more Greek Australian women to become business and community leaders?

Effie (right) is passionate about inspiring Greek Australian women.

First, I will undertake the training and then work to identify how I can leverage the services that the Victorian Multicultural Commission offers. Then I’d like to sit down and scope out how I can help my community. 

I want to do one of two things or possibly both. I’d like to start a business incubator program for young women and female entrepreneurs from migrant backgrounds. This is dependent on whether I can get the right supports and funding in place to do this. 

Alternatively, if I can’t get the funds, I will help my local Greek Orthodox church raise funds for the Greek community by running a multicultural event like a “Panigiri” with a focus on Greek women being stall holders and selling their products and services at the event. The event would also focus on Greek culture, music and dance as I am confident I’ll be able to obtain a grant for this type of event.   

3. Is there anything else you’d like to say?

I was chosen for the ‘women’s stream’ of the leadership program so my focus will be on helping women in my community to learn or grow their skills, or become successful in business, improve their education or help them develop future skills for further employment. 

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

“We are here to achieve victory,” says Greek tennis player Michalis Pervolarakis

The ATP cup is around the corner and despite the challenges players have been faced with, the members of the Greek team remain optimistic.

New analysis finds vibrant paint decorated the Parthenon Marbles

In a new study held by the British Museum, researchers have found microscopic traces of paint on the ancient sculptures of the Parthenon.

Three Greeks quarantined in China’s Hubei province

Three Greek nationals are in quarantine in the Chinese province of Hubei, according to diplomatic sources cited by state-run news agency ANA-MPA on Friday evening.