Greek-Australian woman gives back to hometown of Kefalonia with Hospital donations

·

93-year-old Greek-Australian woman, Rubina Liosatou, has donated tens of thousands of dollars to the Kefalonia Hospital in Greece from Australia.

Liosatou made this bequest after leaving Greece 65 years ago for Australia, where she currently lives, hoping to give back to a place that she could never quite forget, her hometown of Argostoli.

Donations include a digital mammogram machine and an ambulance, which can be used to discharge patients.

Ambulance service at Kefalonia Hospital. Photo Inkefalonia.gr.
Ambulance service at Kefalonia Hospital. Photo: Inkefalonia.gr.

“I always liked to give to others and I also worked at the Argostoli hospital as a volunteer,” Liosatou emphasised.

This is not the only donation Liosatou has made since 2023, however, offering her assistance with refurbishing the Pyrgos Hospital, where her husband was born.

“To the Pyrgos hospital, she [Rubina] donated beds for short-term hospitalisations…and a modern X-ray machine for the radiology department,” Director of the 6th Health Department, Yannis Karvelis said.

Liosatou reiterates her passion for the hospital, Greece, and her husband, as her reasoning behind the donations.

“The face of the hospital changed, I did this in memory of my husband. We love our homeland, we love it very much. I wanted very much to do something for my country of Greece”, explained Liosatou.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece leads athlete parade along Seine at Paris Olympics’ historic opening ceremony

The Greek Olympic team led the athlete parade along the Seine River during the Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday, July 26.

Grateful organ recipient Dimitri Tsekinis shares story of survival for DonateLife Week

A lifeline was handed not once but twice to 43-year-old Dimitri Tsekinis when he was the recipient of two organs.

2024 Odyssey Art Prize: GOCSA announces open call for visual artists

The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia’s Odyssey Festival celebrates 17 years of presence in Adelaide's cultural scene this year.

Dr Phil Kafcaloudes to explore ‘going English’ in lecture on Greek migration

"In a name-proud Greek culture, the decision to anglicise one’s family name is a profound study in migratory and cultural dynamics," says Dr Kafcaloudes.

Peter Kiritsis sells million-dollar Adelaide home as grandfather gifts it to grandkids

An Adelaide grandfather has set a new standard for grandparent gifts by purchasing a 1960s-built home for his grandchildren at auction.

You May Also Like

Traditional Anzac Day biscuits and the history behind them

Do you have 15 minutes to spare for last-minute celebratory Anzac Day prep for this coming weekend? Make these Anzac Day biscuits.

Greek Cypriot Marios Lambis becomes first professional barrister to achieve silk status in UK

The son of Cypriot immigrants to the UK, Marios Lambis, has become the first professional barrister to be appointed Queen’s Counsel in the UK.

‘I will always support the Greek community’: Randwick City Councillor, Alexandra Luxford

Randwick City Councillor, Alexandra Luxford, was first elected in 2017 and has been serving the constituents of West Ward ever since.