Greek-Australian woman gives back to hometown of Kefalonia with Hospital donations

·

93-year-old Greek-Australian woman, Rubina Liosatou, has donated tens of thousands of dollars to the Kefalonia Hospital in Greece from Australia.

Liosatou made this bequest after leaving Greece 65 years ago for Australia, where she currently lives, hoping to give back to a place that she could never quite forget, her hometown of Argostoli.

Donations include a digital mammogram machine and an ambulance, which can be used to discharge patients.

Ambulance service at Kefalonia Hospital. Photo Inkefalonia.gr.
Ambulance service at Kefalonia Hospital. Photo: Inkefalonia.gr.

“I always liked to give to others and I also worked at the Argostoli hospital as a volunteer,” Liosatou emphasised.

This is not the only donation Liosatou has made since 2023, however, offering her assistance with refurbishing the Pyrgos Hospital, where her husband was born.

“To the Pyrgos hospital, she [Rubina] donated beds for short-term hospitalisations…and a modern X-ray machine for the radiology department,” Director of the 6th Health Department, Yannis Karvelis said.

Liosatou reiterates her passion for the hospital, Greece, and her husband, as her reasoning behind the donations.

“The face of the hospital changed, I did this in memory of my husband. We love our homeland, we love it very much. I wanted very much to do something for my country of Greece”, explained Liosatou.

DaneBank Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Easter on the Holy Mountain: A pilgrimage to Mount Athos

Mount Athos, a place of profound significance, beckons travellers from all corners of the world. It is known as the “Holy Mountain".

The Greeks of Tashkent: Photo exhibition and talk by Costas Politis in Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney will proudly host two very important events for "The Greeks of Tashkent" as part of its program for 2024. The...

Orthodox Easter: A time filled with love and spirituality for residents of Ibis Care

With Orthodox Easter approaching, the Ibis Care community commemorate this significant time in the Orthodox religious calendar.

The Cosmos in Cosmopolitanism: Nikos Papastergiadis launches new book in Melbourne

Before a packed house comprising of leading scholars at the Greek Center in Melbourne, Nikos Papastergiadis launched his most recent book.

Unite for a cause at the 6th Annual Breakfast for Brain Cancer in Sydney

During Brain Cancer Action Month, friends and supporters of the White Pearl Foundation are uniting once again on Friday, May 24.

You May Also Like

James Mina pleads guilty of drug supply after Sylvania Waters police raid

Sylvania Waters local James Mina pleaded guilty to prohibited drug supply and drug possession after a police raid uncovered large amounts of cocaine in his room at his family's mansion on February 13.

Greek American biomedical engineer Elisa Konofagou elected to National Academy of Medicine

Elisa E. Konofagou has been elected to the US-based independent advisory body the National Academy of Medicine (NAM).

Nicholas Sianis given life sentence after being found guilty of murder in SA

Nicholas Sianis has been granted a life sentence in jail after he was found guilty of murdering Jason De Ieso in South Australia.