Greek Australian boxing star Terry Nickolas eyeing international career

·

Humble, focused and ambitious are the three words that best describe Greek Australian boxer Terry Nickolas. 

After a successful professional boxing debut last month in Canberra, the Adelaidian who has an impressive Commonwealth Games campaign under his belt, caught up with The Greek Herald and talked about his heritage, his relationship with world rated George Kambosos and his plans for the future.

A great professional debut 

“The fight in Canberra was a positive start to my professional career. I won the fight in the first 30 seconds. My team and I have been waiting all year for this and we finally had this chance,” says the 27-year-old boxer.

But this win didn’t come without hard work behind the scenes, in a challenging year that has impacted sports events and professional athletes globally.

“Due to the pandemic most of the shows were put on standby last year but we’ve been working hard in the gym and we are looking forward to going back in the rink and continue that journey,” Nickolas says as he focuses on the life lessons he carries with him to the next chapter of his career.

“When times get tough, we, boxers, are taught to never give up, to stay strong mentally and physically and to stay positive. If I had given up this year I wouldn’t be where I am now.

“My goal is to be the best boxer I can be.”

Drawing inspiration from his heritage

Boxing is undoubtedly a tough sport as it requires not only endurance and strength but also nerve and the ability to overcome fear.

What is Terry’s kryptonite and what runs in his mind before every fight?

“What my grandparents went through when they left Greece and the struggles they’ve been through in Australia to create a better life for us, is what motivates me. I always think about that. 

“Hopefully I will soon be able to go back to the roots and have a fight over there,” he says.

His relationship with George Kambosos

Last year, Nickolas relocated to Sydney after penning a long-term promotional deal with Kambosos’ business venture, Ferocious Promotions, including a managerial deal with George’s father, Jim Kambosos.

And he hasn’t looked back.

“I look up to George and admire him for putting Australia and Greek Australians on the map of the sport. He’s an incredible athlete. 

“To train with and be around him is a privilege. This year especially, I am very lucky to have been side by side with him,” Terry says as he’s now preparing to… make some noise in the Australian boxing scene before he sets off to achieve a bigger dream.

“When I give a few fights in Australia the goal is to follow in George’s footsteps and get into America, into the US boxing scene. 

“That’s the goal and I’m sure we’ll get there with the right team behind me. I hope one day to fight for a World title as well.”

We will be here to watch this fight. Best of luck Terry! 

READ MORE: IBF officially orders lightweight champion to face George Kambosos Jr

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

Oakleigh Grammar to celebrate 40 years with Community Festival

2023 marks the 60th anniversary of the Greek Orthodox Community of Oakleigh and District and the 40th anniversary of school Oakleigh Grammar.

Maria Sakkari crashes out of Qatar Total Open in quarter finals

Maria Sakkari was defeated by Spanish-Venezuelan tennis player Garbiñe Muguruza 6-3 6-1, signalling the end of her Qatar Total Open campaign.

Stefanos Tsitsipas into Los Cabos Open quarter-final

Stefanos Tsitsipas lost only 4 games to Aleksandar Vukic in Los Campos, taking the first step towards defending his title.