George Petrou and his daughter travel around Australia capturing the stories of war veterans

·

Cypriot-Australian artist, George Petrou, and his daughter Grace are currently travelling around Australia with his iconic portraits of Australian war veterans.

Their aim is to photograph the relatives of these war veterans and along the way, document the courageous stories of survival for Petrou’s new book ‘The Art of Sacrifice,’ which is due to be released in March 2021.

“I have about 80 military portraits that I’ve done and what I wanted to do was connect people to those portraits. I’ve met alot of relatives, grandsons, granddaughters, uncles and aunties of war veterans through my travels, and my daughter and I decided to photograph these family members and get them to write a small part of the story of the subject I’ve painted,” Petrou tells The Greek Herald exclusively.

Cypriot-Australian artist, George Petrou, is well known for his portraits of Australian war veterans.

“Overall, we’re going to photograph about 50 people, with 50 different backgrounds, in one week. It’s a time-consuming project but worth it in the end. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Time-consuming is one way to put it. Petrou says he and his daughter don’t only plan to travel within his hometown of Melbourne, but they are also travelling all the way down to Sydney.

“Our very first stop is Corryong, then we’re going to Aubury to photograph the son of Victoria Cross recipient, Albert Borella, from WWI. His son is still alive, so we will photograph his family – there’s about five of them,” Petrou says.

“From there we are going to Canberra where we are taking about five shots at the War Memorial. Followed by Nowra, the Sydney ANZAC Memorial and then back Melbourne. When the borders reopen we will head to Brisbane and Adelaide as well.”

It’s clear that Petrou will not let anything get in the way of his dream to share the extensive history of Australia’s war veterans.

“I’m very passionate about discovering all these stories and my new book is the perfect opportunity for me to reconnect with people I’ve met on my travels. I’m excited to showcase my findings to the world soon.”

More information on George Petrou’s new book ‘The Art of Sacrifice’ will be released soon.

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

Most untouched beaches found in Mani, Karpathos and Syros

Eastern Mani in southern Greece and the islands of Karpathos and Syros have been identified as the regions having the most friendly beaches.

Last days to enjoy Herk Alexander’s Greek art exhibition in Sydney

On Saturday, April 20, Herk Alexander officially launched his art exhibition as part of the Greek Festival of Sydney.

Dino’s: A new fast casual Greek restaurant in Adelaide

Papadakis’ late grandfather migrated to Australia with nothing. He would later open delis and grocery stores. His first was named ‘Dino’s’.

Three Greek islands named among Europe’s most endangered sites

Three Greek islands of Cyclades – Sifnos, Serifos, and Folegandros, have been named among Europe’s seven most endangered heritage sites.

Italian researcher claims to have discovered Plato’s burial place

An Italian researcher believes he has identified the location of Plato’s burial place in Athens by analyzing papyri from Herculaneum.

You May Also Like

Thanasi Kokkinakis outlasts Stan Wawrinka in French Open epic

Thanasi Kokkinakis is through to the third round of the French Open with a hard-fought five-set win over Stan Wawrinka.

5 historic female Greek scientists and philosophers you should know about

To mark International Day of Women and Girls in Science, The Greek Herald gives its top five female Greek scientists and philosophers.

Greece to launch campaign to tackle rise in domestic violence

The new initiative will try to ram home the message that “even in the last village” there is help for women trapped in abusive relationships.