Alkistis Protopsalti arrives in Melbourne ahead of Antipodes festival

·

Only a few days before stepping onto the stage at the Antipodes festival this weekend in Melbourne, Victoria, Alkistis Protopsalti was welcomed to the Greek Centre by the Greek Community of Melbourne (GCM) during a press conference.

After her impressive performance at the Greek Fest Darling Harbour in Sydney on Sunday, February 19, Alkistis said she is looking forward to a memorable Antipodes festival, which is going take place in the heart of the vibrant Greek community on Lonsdale street. People of all different ages will gather to sing, dance and take part in the big celebration of Greek culture.

During the press conference today, The Greek Herald asked Alkistis about the ways of bringing next generation Greeks in the diaspora close to their culture and the role of music.

“Young artists in Greece would be very happy to be called here, but they have the agony that maybe no one knows their songs,” the singer said.

Alkistis Protopsaltis holding The Greek Herald newspaper. Photo: The Greek Herald / Alkistis Protopsaltis.

“I told two or three young people that are now starting their career in a beautiful way, that it would be good for them to gather in a group. And that’s because the power of a group of three or four new artists together is different from coming to Australia alone, it is not easy to make that trip.

“I also think that radio is playing a big role. I believe it should gradually move on from the decades of the 1940s, 50s, 60s, 70s and come closer to today, in order people to get to know the new voices, because there are very interesting new artists in Greece.”

After performing in front of the Greek audience in Sydney, she can now reflect on that experience with a smile on her face. Now, as Melbourne’s Greek community wait for her to sing some of her best songs this weekend, Alkistis sent them a message through The Greek Herald.

“We have prepared a very emotional and powerful concert. It represents us 100 percent and I think that it refers to all generations,” Alkistis said.

“It is not a concert with a target group of 15-25 year old people. What I loved about Sydney is that I saw people of all different ages. 10-year-old children, many young people. I was impressed that young people knew my songs. I saw 18 and 25 year olds, but I also saw older people. They had all become one.

“This concert is like a rainbow. It has everything. Emotion, power, nice vibes and the most important is that with the musicians with whom I came here, we are like a fist, a musical fist. It is really important to have your people, people that you have worked together for over 10 years, because they know even the slightest move of your eye.

“Everything is organised and as it should be and I think that this night will be marked onto peoples’ hearts and souls.”

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

Konstantina Sideris: Sacred impressions through art

Amidst the reverence and reflection of Greek Orthodox Easter, we highlight the work of artist Konstantina Sideris.

Chris Lucas to open new restaurant in Canberra

Chris Lucas, the restaurateur behind Chin Chin in Sydney and Melbourne, is about to open a new restaurant named Carlotta in Canberra.

Greek Orthodox Easter between three cultures

It's Easter, the most important religious event for Greek Orthodox people all over the world. Greek families come together.

‘A time of reflection and peace’: Australian Prime Minister celebrates Orthodox Easter

Australian Prime Minister, Anthony Albanese, has issued a message to Greek communities across the country to celebrate Orthodox Easter today.

Peter Dutton MP sends message of hope for Orthodox Easter

Australia’s Leader of the Opposition, Peter Dutton MP, has issued a message to mark Orthodox Easter today. Read the message here.

You May Also Like

Prime Minister Scott Morrison sends message ahead of Orthodox Easter

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has sent a message to Australia’s Greek Community ahead of Orthodox Easter on Sunday.

Newington College divided over co-ed move as ‘old boys’ vote causes chaos

Former Newington College students recently met to discuss the school’s controversial decision to make the all-boys school co-ed.

GCM Seminar: 1821 Birth of a Nation State

Professor Thanos Veremis will give an online lecture entitled '1821 Birth of a Nation State' as a part of the GCM's Greek History and Culture Seminars.