Expert warns Sydney’s Greek community of imminent lack of burial spaces

·


Tim Scott, the author of a damning report into Sydney’s cemetery crisis, has warned the Greek community of a lack of burial spaces in the near future.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph, Mr Scott said the eastern suburbs, specifically the Greek community, could run out of burial space in just two years.

The author warned that elderly people could be forced to travel hours further west or south to bury their loved ones.

Mr Scott has been issuing these warning since 2020 after he authored the 11th Hour Report and said all crown cemeteries could close to burials in 10 years.

Since then, the NSW Government announced the separate Crown cemeteries, which include Rookwood, would be consolidated in 2021.

A spokesman for the Department of Planning and Environment said the government is yet to decide a final operating model, and pointed to the Catholic Metropolitan Cemetery Trusts’s new Varroville cemetery as evidence the government is finding new burial ground.

Source: The Daily Telegraph

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

Arrest made during raid for illegal occupation of beach space on Tinos

During a raid on Tinos, a business woman was placed under arrest for occupying public space on beaches without a permit.

Bullied Australian boy named Corona gifted a typewriter by Tom Hanks

The boy had written to Hanks saying: “I heard on the news you and your wife had caught the coronavirus,” Channel 7 News reported. “Are you ok?”

The Evzones Collection on display in Athens at world-first exhibition

The Evzones Collection by Nick Bourdaniotis has gone on display at the War Museum in Athens, Greece until March 31.