Three more people charged over Greece’s deadliest train crash as PM apologises again

·

A railway inspector and two more stationmasters have been charged in connection with Greece’s deadliest train crash at Tempi last week that killed 57 people and injured dozens.

The stationmasters had allegedly ended their work shifts early on the night of the incident, despite traffic being unusually heavy after Greece’s Carnival celebrations. The supervisor has been accused of placing an inexperienced stationmaster on duty at the time of the crash.

According to Ekathimerini, all three are being charged with endangering transport safety and multiple counts of negligent homicide and bodily harm.

Similar charges were levelled on Sunday against the stationmaster who stands accused of making the fatal point switch that saw the passenger train and freight train put on the same track at Tempi. 

News of the indictments filtered through as the Greece’s Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, held his first cabinet meeting since a period of national mourning.

During the meeting, Mitsotakis promised “absolute transparency” as the inquiry into the tragedy intensified and apologised again for the train crash.

“I want to reiterate a public apology on behalf of those who ruled the country over the years, and mainly personally,” Mitsotakis said during the meeting. “I assume responsibility.”

He said that more than 270 million euros would be invested in railway reform by the end of August.

The crash has stirred protests against a political system which has repeatedly ignored calls by railway unions and EU officials to install digital safety systems and hire more staff.

On Wednesday, tens of thousands rallied outside Parliament in Athens, the northern city of Thessaloniki and other cities across Greece in the largest street demonstrations the conservative government has faced since being elected in 2019.

General elections that had been expected to take place in April have, in the face of the uproar, been rescheduled for May. 

Source: The Guardian and Ekathimerini.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Our People Their Stories’ revives the era when Hellenism took root in Australia

"Our People Their Stories – Οι Άνθρωποί μας, οι Ιστορίες τους" is the name of the pioneering project undertaken by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese...

Tributes flow for former Liberal MP for Kooyong, Petro Georgiou

Petro Georgiou, a former Liberal MP for Kooyong and a respected advocate for human rights, has died peacefully at the age of 77.

Meet the new generation of Greek youth shaping the future of Hellenism in Canberra

The GOCCC Emerging Leaders (GEL) Committee 2025 is a hand-selected youth subcommittee made up of dedicated young individuals.

Hellenic Kids returns this month with three days of culture and fun

This April, children from Kindy to Year 6 are invited to dive into the Hellenic Kids Activities Program, running from 15 April to 17 April.

Coalition pledges $2 million to upgrade Heidelberg United Alexander FC facilities

The Coalition has recently announced a $2 million funding commitment to Heidelberg United Alexander Football Club.

You May Also Like

Professor Christodoulou on why healthy Australians can suffer severe coronavirus symptoms

New groundbreaking research has revealed why some healthy Australians develop the most serious coronavirus symptoms,

Cretan community of Sydney commemorates the holocaust of Arkadi

The 154th anniversary of the Arkadi holocaust was commemorated on Saturday with a sit-down dinner organised by the local Cretan Association.

Manta takeover brings Athenian Riviera to Sydney

Manta, the stunning waterfront restaurant at Woolloomooloo Wharf, is set to bring the flavours of the Athenian Riviera to Sydney.