Search scaled back for missing Victorian grandfather Christos Pittas

·

After a week of “extensive” searching, police have scaled back the search for missing Victorian grandfather, Christos Pittas.

The 70-year-old man has not been seen or heard from since about 2.45pm on Friday 13th May, when he went for a walk at Big Muster Drive in Dinner Plain.

More than 400 volunteers joined the search for the missing grandfather in alpine conditions last week and they were later joined by Christos’ family including both his son and daughter.

Due to the little sign of Christos and the sever weather environment that exists in the Victorian alpine region, the police decided to “shift” their search.

“The extreme conditions faced by someone lost in this harsh and unique alpine environment has shaped search efforts to date,” said the police.

“Regardless of our continued and exhaustive search effort, Christos has not been located.”

Inspector Paul Hargreaves said searchers had to hold on to the hope that Christos had been able to find some warmth, shelter and water and that they would continue smaller searches in the coming days.

In a statement issued on May 16, his family has described him as a “kind and loving person” who enjoys nature and adventure.

“We are devastated knowing that our dad Christos is still missing in Mount Hotham’s high country,” the family said.

“He is a grandfather to four beautiful granddaughters and we know he would love to see them again.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Melbourne’s Greek community pays tribute after passing of educator Stella Athanasia

The Greek Community of Melbourne has announced the passing of long-time educator Stella Athanasia. Read more here.

Greece faces sharp population decline and ageing crisis by 2050

The 20–64 group will shrink by about 1.7 million, mainly due to falling fertility rates across generations and a steady decline in births.

Athanasios Avgoustis: The pioneering ethos of the first Kastellorizian to settle in WA

Athanasios Avgoustis is believed to be the first Kastellorizian to settle in WA and the first President of the WA Kastellorizian Association.