ICAC hears Canada Bay mayor Angelo Tsirekas allegedly took bribes by property developers

·

The Mayor of Canada Bay, Angelo Tsirekas, helped property developers fast-track applications in exchange for overseas flights and accommodation, a corruption inquiry has heard.

NSW’s Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) is probing allegations Mr Tsirekas abused his position and failed to disclose conflicts of interest.

On the first day of hearings on Tuesday, counsel assisting Jamie Darams said Mr Tsirekas created a network of developers and professionals to help a series of projects clear his own council’s planning hurdles.

Assisting counsel Jamie Darams at the ICAC hearing. Picture: ICAC.

According to ABC News, the network allegedly involved developers I-Prosperity, Billbergia and Prolet, advisor Joseph Chidiac, real estate agent Francesco Colacicco, accountant Frank Bruzzano, former town planner David Furlong and City of Canada Bay Council’s general manager Gary Sawyer.

On Tuesday, the ICAC heard evidence involving Mr Tsirekas and Chinese developer I-Prosperity, which proposed building a 400-unit apartment block on Marquet Street in Rhodes in 2016.

Chief commissioner Peter Hall heard claims Cr Tsirekas accepted several developer-funded trips to Shanghai and Lebanon, following a series of approvals by the now-liquidated iProsperity Group.

Angelo Tsirekas. Photo: Facebook / City of Canada Bay.

The hearing into allegations surrounding Mr Tsirekas is expected to continue for four weeks. 

In response, a spokesman for Canada Bay Council told The Sydney Morning Herald the Mayor had been granted a leave of absence “for personal reasons” for the duration of the hearing.

Mr Tsirekas later told the Herald he had not made any further decisions about his role “at this stage.”

“I’m proceeding, I’m going forward and defending myself, and we’ll leave it at that,” he concluded.

Source: ABC News and The Sydney Morning Herald.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

IHO NYX brings Greek Rock to centre stage in Sydney this weekend

As Sunday, April 6 approaches, all eyes are on IHO NYX, the band ready to electrify Sydney with a concert dedicated entirely to Greek Rock.

Party for a purpose: Support the Pontian House at the Winter Wonderland Gala 2025

The Pontian Association of NSW Pontoxeniteas will host its highly anticipated Winter Wonderland Gala 2025 on Saturday, May 31, at 6.30 PM.

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

You May Also Like

Abandoned synagogues in Greece set to be restored for modern use

Jewish heritage sites in Greece that were abandoned or demolished are set to be reconstructed and reused as synagogues.  

Olympic torch relay in Greece suspended as it passes through Sparta

The Greek Olympic committee says it is suspending the rest of its torch relay because of the “unexpectedly large crowd” that gathered to watch

Greece sends nearly 600 migrants to locked camp

Almost 600 migrants arrested while crossing to three Greek islands from the Turkish coast opposite have arrived at a facility in northern Greece where they are required to remain pending deportation, authorities say.