Sydney restaurateur, Bill Drakopoulos, scouting for staff overseas amid local shortage

·

Hospitality venues across Australia are scouting for workers overseas amid a local staff shortage, The Sydney Morning Herald (SMH) reports.

Staff shortages across the hospitality space have been a persistent issue throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Hundreds of thousands of temporary visa holders, many from the hospitality industry, left Australia and have not yet returned.

READ MORE: ‘Bring on the 11th’: Lunch spots are filling fast at Bill Drakopoulos’ Sydney restaurants.

Sydney restaurateur, Bill Drakopoulos, confirmed this “desperate shortage of staff” in an interview with The Age and The SMH.

Sydney restaurateur, Bill Drakopoulos, who owns The Fenwick, said he has started to knock back some reservations due to shortages. Photo: Steven Siewert.

“I could probably do with another 70 staff,” Mr Drakopoulos, who owns Sydney venues such as Ripples, The Fenwick and Ormeggio, told the newspapers. “It’s still pretty tough.”

READ MORE: Bill Drakopoulos buys iconic NSW Central Coast pub for $15 million.

Mr Drakopoulos said he’s started scouting overseas for front-of-house and back-of-house staff in response.

It’s been a slow process so far and he’s been forced to limit the number of bookings at some restaurants to ensure they had sufficient staff to serve customers.

But he remains “optimistic it’ll come good.”

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Peter Antoniou named on Young Socceroos Squad for 2026 Asean U19 Boys Championship

CommBank Young Socceroos Head Coach Trevor Morgan has selected a 23-player squad for the 2026 ASEAN U-19 Boys’ Championship.

St George Youth League team makes a statement

The St George Youth League Men’s team delivered one of their most impressive performances of the season on Saturday afternoon.

Heidelberg United vows to fight AFC Champions League 2 exclusion in formal appeal

Heidelberg United FC has confirmed it will launch a formal legal appeal after being denied entry into the 2026-27 AFC Champions League Two.

Princess Anne begins official Greece visit for Battle of Crete anniversary

Princess Anne has arrived in Greece for an official visit to attend commemorations marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

November 17 mastermind Alexandros Giotopoulos freed after appeals court ruling

Convicted November 17 terrorist group leader Alexandros Giotopoulos has been released from prison under strict conditions.

You May Also Like

No vaccines, no dinner: Greek restaurants accepting only vaccinated customers

Restrictions allowing only people vaccinated against coronavirus to be served at indoor restaurants, bars and cafes went into effect in Greece on Friday.

Sydney pub baron Jon Adgemis defends $9m transactions amid insolvency claims

Sydney pub mogul Jon Adgemis has rejected claims by administrators that he withdrew $9 million from his struggling hospitality business.

Theo Onisforou blasts council for ‘abandoning’ Moss Vale plastics fight

Theo Onisforou has accused Wingecarribee Shire Council of abandoning the fight against a plastics refinery proposal in Moss Vale.