Mayors and residents stage protest in Athens for revised migrant detention plan

·

Mayors and residents of Greek islands hardest hit by the country’s refugee crisis have protested in central Athens against government plans to build a network of detention camps.

The officials called off a meeting that had been planned Thursday with the government and staged the demonstration outside parliament, joined by several hundred island residents.

Lesbos, Samos, and three other islands in the eastern Aegean Sea are struggling to cope with severe overcrowding at camps for refugees and migrants following a surge in arrivals from nearby Turkey.

The government earlier this week announced an initiative to build detention facilities on the five islands, arguing that the move is vital to properly organise the registration of asylum seekers and deport migrants denied international protection.

But island authorities are planning legal challenges and blockades at the sites where the new camps are planned to try to block construction.

Stratis Kytelis, mayor of Lesbos capital Mytilene, said the protests had started after the government failed to fulfill a pledge to drastically reduce the number of migrants on the island over the winter months.

“We don’t believe their assurances that all existing structures will be shut down,” Kytelis told the Associated Press.

“People on the islands … opened their homes and gave what little they had to help (refugees) but unfortunately, because of bad policies the situation is now out of control,” he said. “Europe has put up walls against us, and trapped immigrants and refugees on our island.”

A surge in migrant arrivals last year has caused serious overcrowding at existing refugee camps on the islands, with some 20,000 at a facility on Lesbos built to house 3,000.

Migrants on the islands are forbidden to travel to the Greek mainland without special permission under a 2016 agreement between the European Union and Turkey, aimed at limiting the number of illegal crossings to Europe.

Sourced by: AP News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

Turkey challenges Greek offshore energy plans south of Crete

Turkey has objected to Greece’s approval of offshore energy exploration south of Crete, calling the move a violation of international law.

Father Antonios convicted on multiple abuse charges in Ark of the World case

Father Antonios has been sentenced to 9.5 years’ imprisonment, commuted to a fine exceeding €60,000, after Greece’s court found him guilty.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released as Epstein-linked probe continues

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation after being arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

You May Also Like

Greek and Israeli Prime Minister’s discuss recent Hamas conflict

Kyriakos Mitsotakis has spoken upon his repulsion over the recent Hamas terrorist attack, showing support for Israels' right to self-defense.

Chris Lucas to open new restaurant in Canberra

Chris Lucas, the restaurateur behind Chin Chin in Sydney and Melbourne, is about to open a new restaurant named Carlotta in Canberra.

Get Online Week at the Greek Community of Melbourne

As part of Get Online Week 2025, the Greek Community of Melbourne and Victoria will proudly join Good Things Foundation’s national campaign.