Australia extends ban on outbound international travel to at least March 17

·

International travel bans will remain in place until at least March 17 as the federal government sets out to extend its biosecurity emergency period by another three months.

The move followed advice from the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) that COVID-19 was an ongoing threat and still posed significant public health risk despite the emergence of the Pfizer vaccine.

Health Minister Greg Hunt said the coronavirus situation was still escalating in many other countries.

“The disease is spreading as quickly as ever,” he said.

“The international world remains a challenging and dangerous environment and Australia won‘t be fully safe until the international community is safe.”

The biosecurity emergency period was set to end on December 17, but the three month extension meant limits would remain on outbound international travel and on international cruise ship arrivals.

Australians can only leave the country with specific exemptions, with Mr Hunt revealing 95,325 exemptions had been granted since the emergency period was first put in place on March 18.

The advice to extend the declaration was accepted by the National Security Committee and will be put to the Governor-General for final approval on Thursday.

Getty Images: Zinkevych

Acting Chief Medical Officer Professor Paul Kelly said it was a difficult, but necessary decision.

“We weighed up all of the issues, as the Minister has pointed out, but particularly the ongoing situation internationally and the sort of risks that could come to Australia if we relaxed at this point,” he said.

Sourced By: news.com.au

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Cyprus warns Turkey’s ‘Blue Homeland’ law threatens regional stability

Nikos Christodoulides has called for a European response to Turkey’s proposed ‘Blue Homeland’ maritime law.

Australia gifts Greek PM commemorative coin marking 85 years since Battle of Crete

Australia has presented Greece with a commemorative coin marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Greece and Crete.

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

You May Also Like

Canberra Hellenic Dancers: Keeping Greek culture alive one step at a time

If you’re a Greek Australian who’s grown up in Canberra, you’re probably familiar with the Canberra Hellenic Dancers (CHD).

Marcus Catsaras to be a major donor behind the federal election bids for ‘teal’ MPs

Marcus Catsaras, a Tokyo-based weather trader and climate investor, has emerged as one of Australia's largest political donors.

Greek Australian migration exhibition ‘Kalos Irthate’ coming to Melbourne this weekend

The Kalos Irthate (Greek for ‘welcome’) Migration Exhibition will launch next weekend, November 16 and 17 in Doncaster, Melbourne.