243 refugees in Lesvos test positive for COVID-19, while Mt Athos monastery quarantined

·

After testing the thousands of refugees who have now been resettled at the new Kara Tepe camp on Lesvos after the Moria fire, 243 of them have been found positive for the coronavirus.

Speaking during a regular briefing on Monday, Stelios Petsas, the spokesman for the Greek government, said all 7,064 people who entered the new camp had been tested.

The average age of those confirmed positive was 24 and most were asymptomatic, Petsas said. A further 160 people, mainly police and administrative staff who had come into contact with the refugees, were tested and all were negative for the virus.

Migrants are seen inside the new temporary refugee camp in Kara Tepe, on the northeastern island of Lesvos, Greece, Saturday, Sept. 19, 2020. Photo: AP Photo/Panagiotis Balaskas.

These positive cases from Lesvos were added to Greece’s official coronavirus figures on Monday, with the country recording a record 453 new cases in total. There were six deaths.

Mt Athos monastery quarantined:

Greek health authorities ordered an Orthodox monastery on Mount Athos to be placed under quarantine on Monday, after at least eight confirmed cases of coronavirus were recorded among the monks living there.

The monastery of Agios Pavlos (Saint Paul), founded in the late 10th to early 11th century by Saint Paul of Xeropotamou, is in the western part of the Athos peninsula.

According to an Athens-Macedonia News Agency (AMNA) report, the condition of one of the monks is considered “serious” and he has been evacuated for treatment to a Thessaloniki hospital.

The monastery, with 31 monks, ranks fourteenth in the hierarchy of all the Athonite monasteries. Its library contains 494 hand-lettered manuscripts, and over 12,000 printed books.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Hellenic Kids returns this month with three days of culture and fun

This April, children from Kindy to Year 6 are invited to dive into the Hellenic Kids Activities Program, running from 15 April to 17 April.

Coalition pledges $2 million to upgrade Heidelberg United Alexander FC facilities

The Coalition has recently announced a $2 million funding commitment to Heidelberg United Alexander Football Club.

HACCI National Federation holds online event on Greek-Australian trade relations

HACCI National Federation marked a milestone with its inaugural online event ‘Bridging Markets: Greece-Australia Trade Insights’ on March 20.

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

You May Also Like

Mitsotakis and Macron hold telephone call to discuss Turkey, EU report

Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, held a telephone conversation with French President, Emmanuel Macron, on Monday.

Nick Kyrgios’ lawyers granted more time to address alleged assault case

The ACT magistrates court has granted lawyers for tennis star, Nick Kyrgios, a six-week adjournment to address a charge of alleged assault.

Mark Philippoussis dumped again by tennis star Stefanos Tsitsipas

Greek star Stefanos Tsitsipas has dumped Greek Australian tennis star Mark Philippoussis for a second time.