Accused Easey St killer Perry Kouroumblis to face court after landing in Melbourne

·

Perry Kouroumblis is set to face murder charges nearly 47 years after the brutal 1977 killings of two women in Melbourne, following his extradition from Italy to Australia.

The 65-year-old Australian-Greek dual citizen arrived in Melbourne on Tuesday, December 3 at night.

Kouroumblis is accused of the murders of Suzanne Armstrong, 28, and Susan Bartlett, 27, who were found stabbed to death in their home in a “gruesome, horrific, frenzied homicide.” Armstrong was also raped, with DNA evidence collected at the scene.

Armstrong’s 16-month-old child was left unharmed in a cot nearby, with neighbours discovering the crime days later after hearing the baby’s cries.

Kouroumblis arrived in Melbourne late on Tuesday night. Photo: NewsWire / Jason Edwards.

Kouroumblis, who had been living in Greece, was arrested by Interpol at Rome’s Fiumicino Airport. Despite an extradition treaty between Australia and Greece, a Greek law previously prevented his arrest, as charges must be filed within 20 years of an offence.

Kouroumblis’ public defender, Serena Tucci, explained that he was unaware of Italy’s different legal requirements.

“He had no idea that there was a different law in Italy,” Tucci said. “He said he wants to come back to Australia and explain everything.”

Kouroumblis is expected to be formally charged with two counts of murder and one count of rape at a Melbourne court today. He had lived near the victims and was a 17-year-old student at the same school where Bartlett taught, but continues to maintain his innocence.

After his extradition flight from Rome, Kouroumblis was escorted to Melbourne’s police headquarters, where he spent the night ahead of his court appearance.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Australia gifts Greek PM commemorative coin marking 85 years since Battle of Crete

Australia has presented Greece with a commemorative coin marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Greece and Crete.

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

You May Also Like

‘Angriest I’ve ever been’: Ange Postecoglou says after Tottenham loses again

Newcastle extended their winning streak with a 2-1 victory over Tottenham, further deepening the struggles of Postecoglou's injury-hit side.

Patriarchal delegation arrives in Sydney for 2nd Pan-Australian Clergy Synaxis

Distinguished clergy and hierarchs arrived at Sydney Airport on September 24 ahead of the 2nd Pan-Australian Clergy Synaxis.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison sends joyful message ahead of Orthodox Easter

Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, has sent a message to Australia's Greek community ahead of Orthodox Easter on Sunday.