Italian authorities approve extradition of murder suspect Perry Kouroumblis to Australia

·

The Italian government has approved Australia’s request to extradite Perry Kouroumblis – the prime suspect in the gruesome Easey Street murders in Melbourne.

The Australian-Greek national is wanted by Victorian police in connection with the murders of Susan Bartlett and Suzanne Armstrong on Easey Street, Collingwood, in 1977.

Ms Armstrong and Ms Bartlett were stabbed to death in their share house. Ms Armstrong’s 16-month-old son was found alone in his cot in the aftermath.

At the time of the murders, Kouroumblis, then 17, was found with a knife in his car, which he claimed to have found on railway tracks near the crime scene.

In 2017, Kouroumblis left Australia for Greece after being asked for a DNA sample by cold case investigators. He couldn’t be extradited due to Greece’s statute of limitations.

That law doesn’t exist in Italy, which is how the 65-year-old was arrested in Rome when he arrived two months ago. He remains in Regina Coeli prison, known as one of the city’s toughest.

Former Collingwood man Perry Kouroumblis detained over 1977 Easey St cold case
The Italian government has approved Australia’s request to extradite Perry Kouroumblis – the prime suspect in the gruesome Easey Street murders in Melbourne.

No charges have been laid in relation to the case and Kouroumblis maintains his innocence.

His lawyer, Serena Tucci, said on Monday that Italy’s Justice Minister, Carlo Nordio, had agreed to Australia’s extradition request, and she had informed Kouroumblis of the decision.

“He’s lucid. He’s very attentive to what’s being told to him, and he’s prepared to face his trial in Australia,” Ms Tucci told the ABC.

Before extradition can take place, judge Aldo Morgigni from the Rome Court of Appeal, must grant final approval under an executive order. Ms Tucci said she expected the judge to make a decision on the case this week.

Once the extradition had been approved, Australian authorities have 15 days to transfer him from Rome to Melbourne.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Greece and Israel complete historic $1.68 billion defence agreement

"We believe this milestone agreement opens further new horizons of cooperation," the Embassy of the State of Israel to Greece said on Twitter.

Simos Gerasimidis: ‘PASOK will provide something new and realistic’

He was one of the positive surprises of the PASOK state ballot. Simos Gerasimidis is a member of the new generation of Greeks of the Diaspora

‘Fundamental study of Philhellenism’: Professor Tamis’ latest book launched in Melbourne

The launch of Professor Anastasios Tamis’ book, The Aegis of Hellas: The Continuing Vigour of Philhellenism, took place in Melbourne.