Santorini floods with tourists as locals plea for a limit

·

It’s no secret, the streets of Santorini grow increasingly congested as the weather heats up.

While many have waited their whole lives to witness the island and its blue domes for themselves, for many of Santorini’s 20,000 permanent residents, the once utopian island has now been spoiled by mass tourism.

As other popular holiday destinations, including Venice and Barcelona, take a stand against mass tourism, Santorini depicts the severely detrimental impact hoards of visitors can have on a place.

Athinios Port in Santorini. Photo: Ferryhopper.

With over three million visitors a year, business owners and facilities themselves find they’re under immense pressure as they were not built to be equipped to cater for such a capacity.

The fallout from this pressure has forced authorities to consider a cap on visitors.

According to Ekathimerini, the second-generation owner of a 14-room hotel, Georgios Damigos expressed his concerns over the annual flocking of tourists. “Our standards of living have gone down. It’s as simple as that,” he said.

“Santorini is a wonder of nature” that risks turning into “a monster,” Mr Damigos said.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Parliamentary first as FIFA Oceanic Professional League honoured in Victoria

A historic milestone for Australian and Pacific football was marked at the Victorian Parliament on Thursday, February 19.

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

You May Also Like

Liberal-National Coalition reunites after brief split

Liberal and National parties have reunited after a brief split earlier this month, triggered by the Coalition’s poor election performance.

Eirini Alligiannis: Capturing the essence of street art in her new book and exhibition

Eirini Alligiannis, a Greek Australian artist celebrated for her work in photography and filmmaking, is set to showcase her latest project.

Soccer day unites Cretan youth at 44th Cretan Federation Convention

The Cretan Youth of Australia and New Zealand held its annual soccer sports day on Monday, January 5. Read more here.