Luxury car swindler Andrew Triantafyllos targeted in Melbourne arson attack

·

Andrew Triantafyllos, a luxury car swindler, was the intended target of an arson attack on his multimillion-dollar Essendon mansion.

According to The Age, two cars, an SUV and a ute, were set on fire and drove through the gate of the double-story house on McCracken Street at 2 a.m. on Tuesday, in what police characterised as a planned attack; Essendon locals have said this was not the first time a car had been set alight at the McCracken Street house.

Triantafyllos, who also uses the names Andy and Jason, switching his surname to Trianafyllou or Triantos, declined to comment about the arson attack when contacted by this masthead.

One of the cars that slammed into the Essendon house.

“It is not my home that has been attacked; please leave me alone,” Triantafyllos said.

Rental records show that the 47-year-old and his partner have been renting the $2.7 million house since August of last year.

Back in 2018, Triantafyllos was declared bankrupt after persistently refusing to pay dozens of creditors, including the Australian Taxation Office, by liquidating debt-laden corporations, transferring assets, and starting new ones. In September of the same year, Consumer Affairs Victoria issued a warning about Melbourne Luxury Car Hire, another company linked to Triantafyllos. 

Triantafyllos’ company, Supercar Garage, which was registered by a company linked to Triantafyllos’ mother, Chrysoula Coutlakis, collapsed in 2019 owing almost $283,000 to more than a dozen customers, The Age reported.

“You should be very cautious before dealing with Melbourne Luxury Car Hire,” Consumer Affairs’ then director, Simon Cohen, said at the time.

Triantafyllos has now been linked to a new scam involving the purchase of luxury vehicles – through his company “Cast Holdings Pty Ltd” – that are often under finance to non-bank lenders.

Source: The Age

greek film festival sydney new

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Wildfires reignite near Athens, World Heritage Site dodges close call

The blaze reignited over the Athens-Thessaloniki motorway and spread to five nearby suburbs and the Malakasa refugee camp.

Miltos Tentoglou soars to gold at European Athletics Championships

Miltos Tentoglou clinched yet another gold medal in long jump at the European Athletics Championships in Rome on Saturday, June 8.

Garden guru Costa Georgiadis is the subject of the 2024 Bradley’s

Popular TV host of Gardening Australia, Costa Georgiadis is the subject of this year's Bradley art prize by the ABC.