Grieving families and protestors call for justice one year after deadly Tempi train crash

·

As the one-year anniversary of Greece’s most deadly rail disaster approached, tens of thousands of men, women and young people flooded the streets of Athens, Thessaloniki, and many other parts of Greece on Wednesday, February 28 to protest.

Ekathimerini reported that many of the protestors rallied as they believed the Greek government has attempted to cover up who was responsible and cover up the details of what happened at Tempi last year.

protest
People protesting in front of riot police outside Parliament in Greece. Photo: AP News.

The tragic incident involved two trains colliding head-on at Tempi in central Greece on February 28, 2023. It left 57 people dead, which were mostly young university students heading back home from a long weekend.

train crash
The two trains collided at Tempe in Central Greece. Photo: AP news.

Amongst the protestors gathered on Wednesday outside of Parliament at Athens’ Syntagma Square were relatives of the victims.

One of the fathers, Pavlos Aslanidis, who lost his 27-year-old son in the crash, attended. Holding photographs of his son, and the crash site, he described that the only thing they could find of his son to put in his coffin were his ashes.

Protestors in Athens
Protestors in Athens. Photo: Al Jazeera.

“We are here to thank all the people who came to commemorate our children, who are in Heaven,” Mr Aslanidis said.

“We are making this effort so no more children are lost; we are here to save the next ones. We are a group of parents chasing the case and they are blocking our way.”

protestors
More protestors. Photo: Ap News.

As well as the protests, churches around Greece also rang their bells 57 times on Wednesday, and students wrote the names of the dead in red on the ground out the front of the Parliament, where riot police surrounded.

Black balloons and a banner that said “Murderers” also hung in front of Parliament.

riot police
The riot police. Photo: Al Jazeera.

One other man, Christoforos Konstantinidis, who lost his mother Vasiliki Florou in the train crash, was also present and made comment.

“I’m not sure how far we still are from the truth, but I know that we will get there no matter how difficult it is,” Mr Konstantinidis said.

“We take strength from the protests across Greece.”

Many protestors also gathered in front of the headquarters of Hellenic Train, which was the company responsible for the trains. People were seen spray painting “Our lives” on the asphalt as riot police vans and a water cannon stood by the company’s entrance on Syngrou Avenue.

Brief clashes were also reported between police and protesters both in Athens and Thessaloniki.

Memorial service at the crash site
The memorial service for the 57 lives lost at the train crash site. Photo: Alexandros Avramidis

People displayed candles, flowers, photographs, and a banner reading “A crime without punishment at Tempe, the souls demand justice” outside the Parliament.

Greece’s Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis expressed that those responsible would be held accountable in a televised video.

“As a government and political system, we must acknowledge the collective failure behind this tragedy,” Mr Mitsotakis said.

“As a prime minister, as a citizen and as a father, I share the country’s grief.”

The former transport and infrastructure minister Kostas A Karamanlis, who was serving during the time of the crash and resigned after it took place also released a statement.

“One year later, the memory of all of us cannot escape from the unspeakable tragedy in Tempe,” Mr Karamanlis said.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece to invest 25 billion euros in major defence revamp

Greece is set to invest 25 billion euros in a comprehensive defence overhaul, marking the "most drastic" transformation in its modern history.

Trump targets Australia’s beef trade in new tariff announcement

Experts are warning of rising prices for American consumers as US President Donald Trump announces sweeping reciprocal tariffs.

The Greek passport (for Aussies) debacle: Part One

For quite a while now, I've been hearing complaints from Greek Australians about long delays in obtaining a Greek passport.

Harry Mavrolefteros’ First Education wins ‘Business of the Decade’ at National Awards

First Education, founded by Harry Mavrolefteros, was awarded 'Business of the Decade' at the 2025 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

Little Legs Foundation sets monopoly World Record in memory of Alegra Vasiliou

The Little Legs Foundation officially set a new Guinness World Record for the most people playing Monopoly in a single venue.

You May Also Like

Zoy Frangos on growing up Greek Indigenous and how it inspires his singing

Zoy Frangos says "storytelling, song and dance, and community" inspire his singing as they are a part of his Greek Indigenous identity.

Tourists return to Rhodes as Greek officials count the cost of deadly fires

As tourists start to trickle back to the Greek island of Rhodes, officials have started to count the cost of July's deadly fires.

‘Juric magic’ – Ferreira brace secures a Sydney Olympic victory against Sydney United 58

"A win is important, especially after the effort they've put in the last 5 weeks," Sydney Olympic coach Ante Juric said to The Greek Herald.