Corfu serial rapist re-arrested and held on new rape charge

·

A convicted serial rapist released early from a half-century prison term was under police guard in a Corfu hospital on Monday after suffering severe injuries trying to evade arrest on new rape charges.

Police said Dimitris Aspiotis, 47, would undergo surgery for severe back and leg injuries he suffered after falling off a seaside cliff on Saturday in the island’s southern Lefkimmi area, close to the popular Kavos tourist resort.

The suspect had to be extracted by the fire service and rescue teams brought in by sea.

Dimitris Aspiotis was re-arrested on Saturday after falling off a seaside cliff trying to evade police. Source: Keep Talking Greece.

The arrest followed a two-week manhunt in which more than 100 police, assisted by sniffer dogs, took part. During that time, the suspect, who was armed, is believed to have hidden in a remote area.

On May 9, a woman living in the area with her partner had told police that Aspiotis allegedly abducted her, kept her prisoner in a forest and repeatedly raped her over two days before she was able to escape.

Aspiotis had been convicted in 2012 of raping three female tourists in the same area in the summer of 2010. He was sentenced to a total 53 years in prison.

However, Greek law doesn’t allow convicts to serve more than 25 years in prison and usually release can be secured considerably earlier on health grounds, or if they have worked for a certain part of their sentence in prison workshops.

But Aspiotis was freed after just six years in 2018, under a new law aimed at lessening severe overcrowding in the country’s prisons. That law was heavily criticised when a series of violent criminals were freed after serving a fraction of their terms, and has since been scrapped for cases of rapes and other violent crimes.

Greek media reports said Aspiotis had carried out the 2010 rapes shortly after being released from prison where he had served time for another three rapes.

Police found a loaded hunting rifle, knives and survival equipment cached near where Aspiotis was arrested. Source: Ekathimerini.

Under the terms of his 2018 release, he had been obliged to appear regularly at his local police station and wasn’t allowed to leave the island.

Police said they found a loaded hunting rifle, knives and survival equipment cached near where Aspiotis was arrested.

Sourced: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Philippoussis and Baghdatis to play in new legends format at the Australian Open

Australia will take on the World as some of the most loved names in tennis take to the courts in a fresh new format for the AO Legends Cup.

Tsitsipas recruits Djokovic’s former coach in bid to revive career

Stefanos Tsitsipas has officially confirmed that Goran Ivanisevic will be his new coach, just as the 2025 grass-court season gets underway.

Kyrgios confident ahead of ‘battle of the sexes’ against Sabalenka

Nick Kyrgios has declared he won’t need to “try 100 per cent” to beat world No.1 Aryna Sabalenka in a planned “battle of the sexes” match.