By Victoria Loutas
Spanakopita is a popular Greek pie made with filo pastry and cheese and spinach filling.
Made with fresh ingredients and herbs, Spanakopita is a versatile and delicious dish suitable for every time of the day.
Follow this simple recipe to make your own spanakopita at home;
2 large bunches of spinach
1 bunch shallots
1 bunch parsley
250g feta cheese
3 eggs lightly beaten
50g unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius
- Finely chop the spinach, shallots and parsley
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, shallots, parsley, beaten eggs and feta cheese. Mix well
- Lay a sheet of filo pastry into a baking dish and brush with melted butter. Repeat this 5 times to create a thick base layer of pastry
- Pour the spinach mixture on top of filo pastry
- Lay 6 or more sheets of filo on top of the filling, continually brushing with melted butter
- Tuck the filo pastry into the sides of the baking dish and brush more butter on top
- Using a knife, cut 2-3 slits on the top of the spanakopita to help it cook through
- Bake the spanakopita at 160 degrees for approximately 30-40 minutes or until golden
- Once removed, let the spanakopita cool before cutting and enjoy!