Pantzarosalata is the name of the traditional Greek beetroot salad. This is one of the healthiest dishes around as beetroots are a great source of fiber, folate, manganese, potassium, iron, and vitamin C. As a result, beetroots have been linked with several health benefits, such as improved blood flow and lower blood pressure.
1 bunch beetroot, bulbs and leaves
2 garlic cloves, minced
Juice of 1 lemon
Splash of apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh mint and parsley, chopped
1. Trim the stems off your beets leaving 1 inch on your bulbs. Set aside leaves in cold water. Trim the roots but only up to the surface of the bulb, don’t cut into the bulb. Rinse bulbs well, rubbing with your hands.
2. Boil water in large pot, adding 1 tsp of salt. Then add beetroot bulbs and boil for 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a skewer. Add leaves and boil for a further 15 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, top up with cold water to stop the boiling process. Allow to rest for 15 minutes. Drain water.
4. Now trim the roots and stems off your bulbs. Put on food grade gloves and use your fingers to slide off the skin. Then cube your beetroot and place into large bowl. Squeeze excess water from leaves and add to bowl.
5. Mix together garlic, lemon, vinegar, oil, salt, pepper and herbs in a small bowl. Pour all over beetroot and mix through gently.
6. Season with extra salt only if required.
Tip: Boil the beets with the skin on and simply slide the skin off when you’re done. This way the beautiful rounded shape of your beets are preserved. Also, enjoy some of the most tender “horta” by simply boiling your beet leaves in with the bulbs.