HomeCommunityThe Cretan Association hosts fundraiser for its Youth Committee

The Cretan Association hosts fundraiser for its Youth Committee

Author

Date

Category

The Cretan Association of Australia and NSW held a community fundraiser on Friday to help grow their youth committee and ensure its prosperous future.

The Cretan Association’s Youth Committee President, Alexander Mountakis, revealed in April that the association was planning to hold a youth taverna night to help raise funds for the association.

“Tonight we are fundraising to purchase new stoles for the dancing groups and continue the activities and events that make us a successful and active association. Major events that we are looking forward to are the Cretan federation convention in New Zealand in January 2022, and hopeful an excursion to Crete once Covid-19 allows us to do so,” Mountakis said in his speech.

Speaking to The Greek Herald, Mountakis said the event had an excellent turnout and was “amazing”.

Photo: Alexander Mountakis/Supplied

“And also for me personally, and I’m sure I’m speaking for the other musicians as well, playing up there is a really, really good experience and really good fun to get your blood pumping.”

“To see everyone dance and have fun and knowing that you’re producing that orexi, it’s really good.”

It was a night filled with dancing as youth from associations across Sydney flocked to the community club in Lakemba. The night featured the DJ talents of D’Angelo and live cretan music by the youth musicians.

“Thank you to everyone that volunteered time out of their busy lives to make this night possible.”

“A big thank you to Terry Saviolakis and the committee members for your continued guidance and support.”

All proceeds will go to the youth committee of the Cretan Association of Sydney and NSW to assist with funding future youth events and purchasing traditional Cretan costumes. Mountakis said he did not know how much was raised on the night.

“We need to preserve our culture and we need to stick together. In my opinion, we’re not together enough and we need to bond and meet new people, all of this helps preserve our culture for the future,” Mountakis said previously.

Recent posts