Begona Untold Stories: ‘I was not one of the brides. I enjoyed the journey’

·

Despina Sahinidis was only 18 when she left her village, Agioi Anargyroi in Kozani, with a one-way ticket, to Australia.

In May 1957 she travelled alongside 900 brides on the old Spanish ship Begona but she was not coming to Australia to get married. Rather, to reconnect with one of her brothers who had settled in Melbourne a year earlier. 

“There were no jobs in the village and my mother was bringing up six children. She encouraged us to leave the country to escape poverty. She wanted us to progress and do better than her and our father.

“I didn’t know much about Australia. From the letters my brother used to send us, I only knew it was a country far away with many snakes. He was always writing that life in Australia was good and this is how I made up my mind to follow in his footsteps,” Mrs Sahinidis, 81, tells The Greek Herald explaining how difficult it was to leave friends and family behind. 

“My brother, who at the time was an Army Officer serving in Athens, accompanied me to Peiraeus. I can’t forget how much I cried as I was getting aboard Begona. 

“I was sharing a cabin with an older girl who was engaged and was coming to Australia to get married. She was looking after me during the journey. She was scared as she didn’t know what to expect in Melbourne, but I wasn’t. I enjoyed the journey. The ship was clean and the food delicious. I can vividly remember the desserts. This is what I spent all my money on,” Mrs Sahinidis remembers. 

Begona, docked in Melbourne, a month later.

“My brother and his friends were throwing chocolates to greet me. I had a good time”.

The first years in Australia

Although the Begona journey had come to an end, another one was about to begin. Upon her arrival, young Despina had different obstacles to overcome. She didn’t speak the language neither had she an appropriate education but she was determined to work hard and rebuild her life.

“I used to live with my brother for the first 5-6 months. Then I met my husband, we got married and soon we had our first girl. Within the next few years, we had two more and at the same time we had our own shops that we used to run. This is where I learned the language. I never went to school but I was always eager to learn,” Mrs Sahinidis says. 

“Things were not easy in the beginning. Australians didn’t want us immigrants. They called us ‘wogs’ and we couldn’t find houses to rent but there were jobs and this is what was most important. We were focused to succeed and we worked hard. Our kids grew up in our shops, with us,” she reminisces. 

If she could turn back time Despina Sahinidis would still come to Australia. She would change nothing. 

“We went through good and bad times. Greece is first in my heart but Australia is where I created a family and brought up my children. I love Australia too,” Mrs Sahinidis concludes.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

2,500-year-old Greek Illyrian helmet discovered in Croatia

In a ground-breaking archaeological discovery at the site "Gomila" in Zakotorac on Croatia's Pelješac Peninsula, the Dubrovnik Museums team has uncovered a remarkable find,...

Demi Koulizakis: The ‘Cretan soul’ leaving her mark at Sydney Olympic FC

By Takis Triadafillou Sydney Olympic FC’s star signing Demi Koulizakis has been on fire topping the National Premier Leagues Women’s NSW golden boot race with...

Things you didn’t know were vegan to eat this Orthodox Easter

As Holy Week quickly approaches, Greek Orthodox Christians prepare for their journey of spiritual devotion and reflection for Easter. This year, Orthodox Easter falls on...

The role of Greek godparents at Orthodox Easter

Are you a first time nouna or nouno (godparent) curious about your duties this Orthodox Easter? Don’t worry, The Greek Herald’s got you covered. In...

Why we don’t celebrate Orthodox Easter at the same time as Catholics

Have you ever wondered why we celebrate Easter on a different day to the Catholics? Believe it or not, it’s not because we want 50...

You May Also Like

Barrister Sue Chrysanthou slams Federal Government’s ‘violent assault’ on defamation laws

One of Australia's top defamation barristers, Sue Chrysanthou SC, has slammed the Federal Government's proposed anti-trolling legislation as a 'violent assault' on defamation law...

DJ Krazy Kon breaks records as new album reaches No. 1 on iTunes dance charts

Brighton entertainer DJ Krazy Kon has made his way onto the top charts this week following the release of his new album "Greek Mix...

Over 7,700 Ukrainian refugees taken in by Greece in April

Since the invasion of Ukraine by Russia in February, tens of thousands of people have been kicked out of their homes, displaced, and slaughtered...